The best cure for insomnia is to
get a lot of sleep.....W.C. Fields
What the heck? All my life my head hitting the pillow was all I needed to drift off into sleep, wonderful sleep! Julio Iglesias would sing for about two minutes and I was off to dreamland. I kept Julio beside my bed where I kept my boom-box and for years I did not know what the rest of the songs on the cassette (yes, before CD's we listened to cassettes!) were, because I would be out instantly.
Later, I slept with George Straight, Tony Bennett and Frank Sinatra. When I found a CD by Irvin Lucero, a local man I knew from Denver, Colorado, I enjoyed going to sleep with him
singing religious songs in Spanish. Usually, I was asleep before the first song ended.
I don't know when it happened, but one night I closed my eyes and heard every one of the eighteen songs on his CD. This had never happened to me. I found it odd that I could not sleep and I noticed that I had one of those awake nights about every 4th or 5th night. After a sleepless night I began looking into my day to see what had gone on during the day. Did something different happen or was I worried about something. I could not find a pattern.
I looked up Insomnia in my Kaiser Healthwise Handbook and found out that I should only use my bed for sleeping. It specifically stated that I was not to work, eat, watch t.v. or read in bed. I was to avoid mental stimulation an hour before bedtime. If I would lie awake for more than 15 minutes, I should get up, leave the bedroom and do something relaxing.
| To be able to sleep like a baby how wonderful that would be! (This is Ariana with Pooh dreaming sweet dreams.) |
The odd thing was that I could be watching television in the late morning or afternoon and the next thing I knew I had missed a show because I fell asleep. Sleep would arrive without warning and I would be out. Many times my head would give a jerk and wake me. I remembered my Father telling me he could not sleep at night but always fell asleep watching t.v. Maybe this was something that happened to older people. It was strange that I was unable to sleep in bed but sitting up sleep came quietly with no encouragement from me. I am happy it is not an every night occurrence but when I cannot sleep it leaves me feeling out of sorts the following day. In my youth I required around ten hours of sleep. Now, with six hours of a good night sleep, I seem to function fine.
Sometimes on those bad nights I will take an afternoon nap. Then, I remember the advise I got when I was raising my children: "Don't let them take too long of a nap during the day, because then they won't sleep during the night." Regardless of whether I take a nap or not some nights I am not sleepy at all while other nights I am out like a light soon after going to bed.
O Sleep, O Gentle Sleep, Natures Soft Nurse,
How Have I Frightened Thee, That Thou No More
Wilt Weigh My Eye-Lids down and Steep My
Senses in Forgetfulness?
William Shakespeare
No comments:
Post a Comment