Monday, August 13, 2018

Vegetable or Fruit

Imagine slicing a watermelon and instead of seeing the red interior I expected, it was a pale yellow! That was a big surprise and yet when I tasted the yellow, juicy watermelon it tasted like what I am used to eating. No difference between red or yellow that I could taste!  It is just as tasty as a red one, yet it seems odd to look at the pale yellow color.

Looking on the Internet I found out that the yellow watermelon originated in Africa and it does not have the antioxidant lycopene that gives the red color to a melon. The good thing is that it does contain Vitamin A and C, Potassium, Magnesium, Iron, Calcium, Phosphorus and helps to keep the immune system strong.  It is considered both a fruit and a vegetable by experts, though I will think of it as a fruit!

I found out that Watermelon Day is August 3 every year. This is something I did not know and probably will forget by next year!


"When one has tasted
watermelon he knows 
what the angels eat."
Mark Twain

No comments:

Post a Comment