Sunday, August 11, 2019

Celebrating 112 Years

My daughter introduced me to an artist by the name of Frida Kahlo. When she mentioned that Frida had been married to Diego Rivera, an artist I did know, I became interested and read some books about the female artist. Her life was quite surprising because she seemed to be ahead of the early 1900's and would probably have fit right into our current times!

Her life was tragic and began when she had polio as a girl leaving one leg thinner than the other. I read that she wore long skirts to hid the deformity. Later, while on a trolley, the trolley was hit by a bus and a long metal pierced her body and she had to wear a brace for the remainder of her life. It was after her accident that she began painting and took some of her work to be critiqued by Diego Rivera. He was twenty years her senior, yet she fell in love with him. They married, divorced, remarried and had a tumultuous life with each of them having affairs. She may have been bi-sexual, fought for the poor, knew Tolstoy, may have been a communist, traveled to United States and Europe with her art, and became a celebrity with her art and the way she dressed. She is pictured with eyebrows that go across her forehead and sometimes with a wispy moustache. She is pictured with flowers on her head, pet monkeys, and many of her portraits are of herself.

"I paint flowers so they will not die." Frida Kahlo






Yesterday, August 10, 2019, on Morrison Road there was a celebration of her life. Many women dressed like her and had flowers on their head and entered the look alike contest. There were many booths under white tents with items with Frida's face. Artist also painted their version of Frida and the art work could be purchased. I saw her face on t-shirts, purses, magnets, blouses, earrings, and post cards. I was surprised to see that this festival has been going on for seven years and this year is the first time I heard about it. The fiesta was across from an interesting looking restaurant named Kahlo and the sign outside advertised Michoacán food.



I enjoyed wandering around, seeing the many people dressed in Frida style outfits, listening to the Latin music, and seeing the art work on the walls. I watched a tortilla maker placing tortillas on a hot grill and then topping them with green chili and cheese.  Made my mouth water!











Next year I will keep my eyes open as to when the celebration will take place because I will attend again and maybe next time I may put some flowers on my head!





"I drank to drown my sorrows, 
but the damned things learned to swim!"
Frida Kahlo

No comments:

Post a Comment