Saturday, June 13, 2020

Am I Afraid

The Coronavirus seems to spread fast and there are certain precautions that are advised by medical groups. Wear a mask, wash your hands and stay ten feet away from others seem to be three main suggestions. I have two sets of friends with opposite ways of thinking. One group follows the rules by staying home except for essential outings. The other group meets in small groups, wear masks and try to have space between each other. They meet to play cards, dominoes or eat out and feel safe. I have not joined the second group and am staying home. So far, neither group has gotten the virus and hopefully no one will. Each person handles how they react by what makes them feel comfortable. The thing is that no one seems to know exactly what to do or what is the safest way to react with the information given to us.

A friend asked me, "Why are you so afraid?" When she said this to me I resented the fact that she thought I was afraid. I felt as if she was saying that I was cringing in corner, afraid to do anything! Yet, when I looked up the word afraid in the dictionary I found out what it means; feeling fear or anxiety,  worried that something undesirable will occur or unwilling to do something for fear of the consequences. Which leads me to the conclusion, that I do fit in the category of being afraid, not frightened, but worried about the consequences that might happen if I am exposed to the virus.

My prayer is that either group, those feeling the need to socialize and those staying at home until a better time, stay healthy. Each person has to make a decision as to what makes them feel comfortable during this Covid 19 pandemic.

"In time we hate
that which 
we often fear."
William Shakespeare

No comments:

Post a Comment