A little blond girl sat next to me at church this morning. I would say she was around four years old going on ten. She wanted to spread her "work" between me and her mother. "Would you move your coat?" she asked me in a sweet voice. I pushed my jacket underneath me to give her room. She then handed me a package of stickers and asked me to open them. I smiled and told her to ask her mother. The mother opened the package and returned it to the little girl. She began pulling stickers of Disney princesses and handing them to me. She would then take the sticker from my finger and put it on a small coloring book. Every time she would give me a sweet smile. If I did not respond, she tapped me on my arm. She did this five or six times and I did not have the heart to ignore her.
Finally, trying not to be rude, I closed my eyes and I heard her young mother whisper to her to not bother me because I was praying. This did not stop the little girl from tapping my arm until I opened my eyes! I thought my morning at mass would make a good blog so I took out my phone and took a picture of her "work" and of the precocious child.
I have no idea if my mass counted since I was "playing" with the little girl through most of the mass. I did tell the mother that she had a very friendly daughter!
"It sounds precocious, but I knew
that I had to listen to my own inner voice
and ignore what everyone else was saying,
even my mum."
Denise Lewis
No comments:
Post a Comment