Saturday, August 24, 2024

A Joyful Picnic

My parish of Spirit of Christ Catholic Community celebrated its 50th anniversary with a picnic. Months before the picnic, planning by volunteers began for August 18, 2024. The volunteers worked hard and provided a fun day that surprised everyone attending. I heard that there were over 1000 persons in attendance at the south parking lot as it became an area of tents, tables and games. Food of pulled pork and hot dogs were served inside along with the many side-dishes brought by volunteers. I have never seen so much food! A room was called the Bingo room where many tried their luck. Outside there were games, activities like rock painting, photo booths, a cake walk, dunking station and other games. Popcorn and Icees for everyone. A highlight was having the Parochial Vicor dunked into the water. At one point I saw about fifteen persons, young and old, wanting to send Fr. Trevor into the water! Our pastor, Fr. Chris, took the first try and ended by hand pushing the lever that sent Fr. Trevor into the water! 

Everywhere I looked I saw happy faces. Everyone seemed to be having fun whether young or old. The organization for the food lines was perfect as people got their sandwich of pulled pork or hot dog and then walked along the many tables filled with salads and side dishes. I have never seen that much food or people move in such an orderly way to fill their plate! The one remark I heard was that people were seeing friends that they had not seen in a long time. What I could see was joy and happiness!

Thanks to Fr. Chris and kudos to the many volunteers that made the picnic happen. A perfect celebration for the parish's 50th year of being in existence!

"Reflecting on our church's

journey, we see a

tapestry of lives changed

and spirits uplifted."

From the Internet



No comments:

Post a Comment