| Two Buckaroos! |
After the parade we sometimes went to a movie to get out of the hot sun. Other times, I remember, going home and my Mother would make hamburgers for lunch. A few times we went to Island Grove Park where all the amusement park rides were set up and we walked around. Dad would ride with us but my Mother never did. She enjoyed watching us and she usually had a big smile on her face.
As we passed the hamburger stands the smell of of onions and grease wafting around made my mouth water. When I asked my Father to buy me one he said, "No, they are too expensive. For what I pay for one hamburger here, the whole family can eat at home." To this day, my mouth still waters when I smell hamburgers and onions frying! After I was an adult, one of the first things I did was to buy me a hamburger at Island Grove Park for the 4th of July. I realize that hamburgers sizzling on a grill smell so much better than they taste!
My Mother did not like rodeos and stayed home while my Father took my brother and me to see the Spud rodeo. Now a days, it is called the Greeley Stampede. We sat in the cheapest seats which meant we were in the sun. I remember being very hot, getting sunburned, lots of dust, horses, bulls, and cowboys! At night, we returned to the arena to watch the fireworks. I loved the bursts of lights but did not like the noise.
| My grandson at the Greeley Stampede in 2001 |
I asked for seats in the shade and the lady said, "All of our seats are covered." I told her about sitting in the sun and she laughed telling me, "It must be a long, long time since you've been to a rodeo here." She was so right!
This year, I will not be going to Greeley to celebrate the 4th of July but I do know that the memories I have of the holiday will always have a special spot in my mind and heart.
No comments:
Post a Comment