| Memorial on Wadsworth Blvd. |
Our lives are so fragile and we never know when our time will come. I remember my Mother telling me to always have clean underwear and to make sure it was not torn because "you never know when an accident can happen."
Something I did not know is that a shocking number of cyclists have been killed in the United States. For the month of September through August I counted a list, compiled by the League of American Bicyclists, of over 100 deaths ranging from ages 8 to 88 in the United States. The League was founded in 1880 to promote and protect the rights of cyclists. They mention that over 700 cyclists are killed in traffic accidents every year. I had no idea that such a group existed and found out that they try to keep cyclists informed on how to stay safe, proper gear, and locations that are dangerous to riders.
Motor vehicles and bicycles follow the same rules of the road by staying on the right side of the road and obeying all traffic signs. Bicycle rider never ride against traffic. They should use hand turning signals. (Once, when my turn signal in my car was not working, I stuck out my arm straight out to signal I was turning left, my grandchildren asked me what I was doing!) They had never heard of hand signals since all they know is turn signals on a car!) Always wear a helmet. It seems (reported by the League) that Colorado is ranked the 4th most friendly state in the United States for bicycle users.
It doesn't matter how old I get, there is always something new to learn! I am glad I stopped to see the memorial and will probably be more aware of bicyclists from now on!
Be safe, all you bicyclists out there!
| Not a Colorado sign. |
No comments:
Post a Comment