Wednesday, October 23, 2019

A Deacon's Funeral



During the holidays, I worked at Macy's Department Store. I was what they called a "floater" and the year I was working in the purse, scarf and slipper areas, a tall man told me he was Christmas shopping and needed something for his wife. As I showed him different items we chatted and somehow our conversation turned to traveling. He told me he was taking a group from Spirit of Christ church to Europe to see the Marian shrines. I told him I took groups to Southern Colorado and New Mexico and he said, "If you can get ten persons to join my group you would get a free ride." He also purchased a beautiful scarf for his wife

His comment was all it took for me to find seventeen persons to travel to see the Marian Shrines. In 2008 we visited Portugal, Spain and France and he and his wife were excellent leaders. After our travels it would be a pleasure to see the Deacon and chat with him as he moved about his duties at the church. I joined Spirit of Christ Catholic Community and continued doing pilgrimages to New Mexico. One year the Deacon and his wife  joined me on a trip and I got to know them better.


Today was his funeral and I felt no sadness because in hearing about his life I felt as if Jesus came and took him by the hand to lead him to life eternal. The mass was beautiful with the bishop, four priests and over twelve Deacons dressed in white. What an impressive sight as they as they entered the church two by two.

The homily was presented by a former priest of Spirit of Christ and he talked about dark and light.
When the "punch line" was given, I felt a tremendous sense of peace. Paraphrasing the remarks: When one is going through a dark time, light can shine through when you can look around and see a friend. I looked around and realized I was surrounded by friends. Behind, beside, and in front of me were persons I call my friends. How lucky I felt to be in the light with my friends.

After mass there was a reception where many hugs were exchanged, where we ate delicious food prepared by the Trust Committee, and where we enjoyed the camaraderie of many friends. We got to know the Deacon better as we watched a video showing the Deacon as a young man, getting married, his family, his life as a Deacon, and other parts of his life.

 


Flowers and photos were displayed on a table and these will become the memories of a good man. And, I truly believe the saying, as long as the deceased live in your heart they continue to live.


"Father. in Thy gracious keeping
Leave we now Thy servant sleeping.
From Now the Laborer's Task is O'er










No comments:

Post a Comment