Thursday, February 25, 2021

Letters

 Finding a box of letters of my past, I decided that before tossing them away I would put them in my blog. The first letter was written to a friend on my visit to volunteer at Santa Maria Del Mexicano in Mexico. A place for parentless, neglected and abused children or single parent kids.


July 4, 1992

Dear Allen,

Happy 4th of July-- Tonight around 8:30 my roommate and I were thinking about fireworks. I've got the radio on and I'm frantically writing my letters.  The phone service is very old-fashioned. Ray is the only one I've been able to get a hold of. I've asked him to call you. How are you? Anything going on? Did you do anything for the 4th? I can't tell you how useful your items have been. I've used about everything you sent. Carrie, the other volunteer, said "You're a very well prepared traveler."  I had to tell her it was your idea to pack the items. It is great here but I could have used a fly swatter. In Colon there are hundreds, no, possibly millions of flies. They fly in swarms. Here at Santa Maria there aren't so many. Santa Maria is beautiful and sort of in the mountains and not hot at all. It's about half an hour from Colon where the Casa de Niños and Casa de Niñas are located. Temperature is around 75 degrees. Some days it  might get to 80 degrees. Hot during the day and cool at night. I am falling in love with these kids. There are two, Cesar and Ruben, who are cute and smart. One is 5 and the other is 6. I am teaching kindergarten and I have 7 boys (Alejandro, Sergio, Ruben, Cesar, Martin, Manuel, and Angel.) The girls are: Sandra, Cecilia, Angelica, Jennifer and Rocio. There is also a young retarded boy, Mario, that hangs around my class. He is thin and tall. I also help him by trying to teach him how to write his name. He is about 12. He is Sandra's brother.

The monastery is old, built out of stone, and very old. I think that there's an accident waiting to happen. The only thing that saves the kids is that they obey. If Father tells them not to go near the river, they don't. My routine is: 6:15 a.m. get up and shower in cool water, breakfast at 7:30, classes begin at 9 until 9:50, break and then my class is over at 11. After that we go for a walk, color or do crafts. The kids love to look at things through the magnifying glass you packed. We've gone on a hike and the kids loved carrying your water bottle. They have also enjoyed playing with the numbers game. The kids have very little toys and are fascinated with any thing new. Some of the kids cannot read while others can. They also love to play with clay. I'm learning words in Spanish. I'm the interpreter between English and Spanish.

I'm rooming with Carrie (26), Lolita, (18), Lourdes (15) and if I make my bed, they do too, if I don't, they don't either-- I think they see me as a leader since I am 54! It's funny how I feel their age and not mine! We live in a large room, dorm style. One of the nuns left me the van truck keys but by the time we can get to Colon the phone company has closed down. It's very primitive and I've tried to call you twice but your machine is always on. I then call Ray and I hope he is getting my messages to you.  How was work? Today I spent the day with the children. First we set up the volleyball nets and played. We then played basketball with the older kids, 13-15. We played "burn the man", trying to hit the middle man with the ball. As long as I am supervising they are all right but once I leave they also stop playing.

There are some sad stories here. Children left on a porch, in the trash, found wandering around, molested, etc. They are well fed and have a healthy appetite. They range from age 2 -18. There is an interesting man, retarded, goes around with no socks, sits on the ground like a baby would, can't speak, when he walks it more like a lope, and he enjoys touching hands or knees. If he sees a child cry he
smacks his head and also cries in loud shrieks. Very scary. Spits if he is upset and if he gets a hold of a ball he flattens it. The children treat him kindly and as if he is normal. The rumor is that we should all be kind to him because he could be Jesus Christ. The children are very religious. Yesterday the children were bouncing a ball and he (Antonio) began bouncing the ball, he was actively dribbling and I was amazed that he is that coordinated. He reminds me of Quasimodo from the Hunchback of Notre Dame. 

I don't know when you'll receive this letter. I hope you are fine. I can hardly wait to get home to tell you all my experiences. Take care, thanks for all you are doing for me, I have my little figure beside my bed and he's still waving goodbye. I have one candy bar left! Love, Erlinda.

(Letter received on July 20, 1992)

**********************************************************************************

July 5, 1992

Hi Ray, You were right, I love it here! We are very busy -- we are with the children all the time, classes or no classes. I have a few favorite kids that are so cute and loveable but I am treating all of them all alike! They have nothing, so everything fascinates them. My earrings are like amazing because they take them off my ears and put them back on. I had to trim nails one day for forty kids. Some of the kids chewed their nails so I didn't have much to trim.  I was also asked if I could mend or cut hair. My answer was "no." The days are whizzing past. I teach kindergarten and have 7 boys and 5 girls. 

The area is beautiful and the weather is great. We are in the mountains with lots of pines and cacti. On some of the cactus there is a red fruit called garanbuyos that the children love to pick and eat. So far I am healthy but sometimes the smell of the kitchen makes me ill. Father Norman, also known as Padre Antonio, is very strict and rigid but he loves the children and they know it. He knows them by name and hug and kisses them, which is what they need. He told me that my first priority is to love the children and my second is to teach them! The kids are good kids, very sweet and innocent. You should see them sing at mass, at the top of their lungs and with their eyes closed. Yesterday we were all able to go into the town of Colon to make phone calls but usually the switchboard is closed by 8 p.m. I am rushing to write this letter because the bell rings at 9 a.m. for breakfast. After showering around 7:15 a.m. we go to mass in cold and dark chapel. I began a letter to Barb on June 27 and finished it on July 4. I haven't even had time to write in my journal. I am taking lots of pictures and hoping they turned out so that you will have a better idea of my stay here at Santa Maria. Take care and until later, Always, Erlinda

Received July 20, 1992

*********************************************************************************

July 8, 1992

Dear Allen,

What an exciting surprise. I received both cards today. You are so funny. I loved hearing from you and became very emotional. I too am anxious to see you.  I miss you but I am so busy it's difficult to think about home. I think I told you I have a Kinder class -- they are so cute. Last night I dreamed one child and every time I see him I get teary eyed. I dreamed I wanted to take him home with me but I couldn't. In my dream when I saw him he was older and fatter but his eyes were still the same. He was looking into a large trash can. We recognized each other. That feeling of not being able to take him out of his sad life got to me. Every time I think of my dream I burst into tears. Weird, isn't it? I had stopped taking Prozac but since I seem to be so teary I began taking it today. So far, I love it here. The children are all so adorable and love to be loved. There is one boy in particular that I could take home; he is four years old and is named Ruben Paz Castro. He has a low gravelly voice. He is stout and stocky and when I give him something he says, "Thank you very much." He has a brother Daniel and a sister Margarita. They love to have stories read to them. I wish I had known what was needed because I would have brought more items. I hate to admit it, but you really have saved the day. Even Carrie is wearing a brown t-shirt. Okay, so you know best. I often think how nice it would be to sit on the couch and have you brush my hair, or go for a walk and have you hold my hand--so securely and with that perfect grip you have!


Did you really think that Andy would call? When has he ever done what I ask him to do? Are you sleeping at the house? It sounds as if you were really busy. Did you get my message? I left one at your place and called my house but I didn't leave a message. I have tried calling you at odd times but I haven't left messages. It's only when I get a chance to get into Colon that I can use the phone. There is no phone here. Today I took an 85 year old woman into town to the doctor. I drove a red Chevrolet Luv truck with a stick shift . If we go any place at all where there's a phone, I will call you. I hope you'll be around. Blanca is watching the kids while I came in here to freshen up. We work hard, from 7:30 to 7:30. Usually the evenings are used to plan the next day's lessons. Keep those letters and cards coming. I love receiving them. Take care, hope everything is fine with you, Love (better?) Always, Erlinda

Letter received 7-25-92

***********************************************************************************

July 11, 1992 Hi Allen, I hope it's the 11th, I keep losing track of the days! It's Saturday night and I'm in Guanajuato. Carrie and I came by bus this morning. She leaves on Weds. so this would have been her last weekend. Another girl, Robin, started out with us but she lost her billfold. She thought she lost it in the cab and got off the bus to go look for it. After she got off and the bus took off again, a lady came and said she had found the billfold under the seats. It was too late to go back and the bus driver was kind of nasty and wouldn't turn the bus around. Probably only would have been ten minutes but he refused. Would you have? I think I know your answer. 

Anyway, Carrie and I have run around all day. The streets are narrow and the town is quaint. Reminds me of pictures I have seen of New Orleans. Lots of balconies. There is one street called  El Callejon del Beso because it is so narrow you can lean from one building to the other and kiss your lover! We took a tour to a gigantic statue of Jesus Christ. It's up in the mountains and beautiful. I've taken lots of pictures so I hope they turn out. If they don't I will be very disappointed. We are staying at a hotel for $20 a piece and it is small but clean and quiet. AND we have hot water! What a treat. By the way this card reads on the front, "I'm telling you,  Good morning" and on the inside "It's the way to initiate a grand day!" Hope you do have a great day! It was nice talking to you the other day and hearing your voice made me a little homesick. Take care and until later, Always, Erlinda

7-25-92

*******************************************************************************

July 14, 1992. Hi Allen, I never thought I would enjoy receiving mail as much as I do now. Every day I hope I get some thing. Today I got a card you mailed before the last one I received. Strange how letters get lost or come late. It's been great hearing from you and catching up with the news. I loved your cartoon, so that's how you think I am?!!! How are things with you? You sound great. Have you talked with Dad, Andy, Barb or Ray? You should see how wonderful the weather is, right around 70-80 degrees. Not too warm, cool and quite comfortable. I'm really surprised because I thought it would be raining or that it would be very hot. It's been a good surprise that it has been as nice as it is. You should see the town we went to this evening, it has a funny name, Indian sounding and very pretty.  Lots of archways and plazas. We took Carrie out to eat because she leaves tomorrow. Father treated. It was a very elegant place and the food was good. Some of the people had steaks, I had ravioli and some had fish. I told Father that if I had known he was treating, I would have ordered steak! He is a funny man. His cup had FBI on it. 

The volunteers here have been fun. That is all except one volunteer. She drinks our pop, eats our food, uses our stamps and envelopes and is very pretentious. I had rationed out my chocolate bars and she ended up eating them without asking. I had planned to have a piece every day and now they are all gone! She laughs and says she will pay us back but she never does. She pretends to be loving and caring but isn't. She uses our shampoo and I have begun hiding my soap. She is a phony but the people here, all the sweet Mexicans, are so accepting. She runs every morning in short-shorts and the young boys run behind her. She pretends she doesn't notice them looking at her rear! Any way, she will be gone on Friday. I really like Lolita, a young girl of 20, who is also the cook. Lulu a 15 year old is teaching 6th grade and of course Carrie, the French teacher who is 26 years old. Robin, the witch is 29. Cali is studying to be a nurse and is here with her mother, Conchita. She is also a volunteer teaching the girls how to sew. They are from Alaska.

I am fascinated by the children though some are little rascals. There is one young boy about 11 who is always coming up and giving me tight hugs and placing his head on my chest. The story is that he was sexually abused by his grandmother. Should I worry?! Yesterday I saw him juggling three oranges yet he has problems with math. This is the end of the paper, save my letters because I'm not writing in my journal every day. Take care, see you soon, Love always, Erlinda  

Received July 18, 1992

********************************************************************************

July 17, 1992

Dear Allen, Thanks for all the cards and letters. I really do enjoy hearing from you. I look forward to seeing Sister Teddy (Teresa) coming toward me with a yellow envelope. Yesterday I received the card with the newspaper articles. Mail does take awhile, doesn't it? I have two more weeks and I am enjoying my stay and feel good about helping the children. My class is really doing well. On Monday I'm giving them a test so I've been working on it. I really have to respect teachers because they must always be thinking about their next lesson on how to keep children interested and thinking up new ways to teach. My creative juices have really been flowing and I think the kids like my ideas. Sister Martha complements my group and says we are at the top of the good conduct and learning scale. She said, "You always know when there is a good teacher behind the students." Robin, the bitch, left yesterday and it's so much nicer. I miss Carrie, she is really a nice person. She arrived in Denver today and then is leaving for Chicago. 

Norma and I went to Colon last night. Now that Robin is gone I feel I can stock up on food and not fear that it will be stolen. I bought Cheetos, pop, cookies, rolls, bananas, bread and apples. Sounds like a great diet, doesn't it? Lulu and I are working on a play. We are going to do Our Lady of Guadalupe. I started working on the cast and characters. She will actually pick the actors. We will use the younger kids as trees, flowers, bushes, and little animals like rabbits. We will also have a group of singers. When she found out I like to write she got all excited. The days are long, from 7:30 to 7:30 with a few breaks in between. This weekend I am staying home to see what goes on around here. I want to go to Colon -- I need to find a beauty shop to have my hair colored or else I will go home looking like an old lady! Lulu just waltzed in and wants me to go with her to Queretaro. I explained that because I was gone last weekend I didn't want to leave again this weekend. Though, I wonder if Sister would object? Anyway we will sleep on it and decide in the morning. I also would like to take the children swimming some place. The pool here is very small and dirty. Yesterday it rained and it was the first time since I have been here. It was also cold last night. It sounds as if you are keeping busy. Have you talked with Dad, Andy, Ray, etc? Did you go see Queen Ida? What did you think of her? The other day we did not have any water but it came on around 7:15 a.m. You should have seen us all trying to shower and get ready by 7:30. Our accommodations are quite nice. We have two showers and a kitchen. The bedroom is for five people, two bunk beds and one twin. It looks as if I've run out of space for now.  See you soon. Keep those letters coming, Love always, Erlinda  The three boys pictured below are Ruben, Angel and Sergio.



********************************************************************************

July 18, 1992 

Good morning, Allen! Even though I wrote to you the night before last, I'm writing to you again because Fr. Norman will be in Colorado this coming week for a fund raiser. If you see anything in the the newspaper, please cut it out and save it for me. It's 7:10 in the morning and since Father will mail these letters from the U.S. I wrote to everybody. I want to get them written before I go to the "work area." So far, I am in good heath. The food here is quite good and yesterday I ate in a little village in the mountains. Fr. Coleman, a Benedictine from Pecos, New Mexico, invited me an Norma to go with him to Saletrera, a little village. We left at 1 p.m. and didn't return until 8 p.m. He dropped us off with the family of the bride where we sat outside in the dirt yard on beautiful carved chairs. It is very poor. The people are very friendly and warm. They went to the store to buy pop for us. When Father's friends, compadres, showed up they brought more chairs and we all sat outside. Norma and I walked to a damn and watched women washing their hair and laundry. The wedding was supposed to be at 3 but did not begin until 4 p.m. You would go crazy here as punctual as you are!

The wedding ceremony is different here. The Dad does not give the bride away but rather the bride and groom meet in front of the church and the priest gives them a blessing and the couple enters together. Fr. had picked up 2 guitarists and 2 girl singers from another village. Usually there are 13 of them but many are on a pilgrimage to Mexico City to the Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe. I don't know if I told you but last weekend we saw hundreds of people walking and they were headed to Mexico City. It takes them eight days of walking. At the wedding, Fr. gave a sermon about how the woman has to obey the man, how the man has the final decision and I really wanted to stand up and say, no, no, no!!! He did mention, but I doubt that men heard that part, that the man must love his wife and do as she wants because he loves her. The reception was in a beautiful picturesque area with chickens running around, a donkey braying, horse looking at us through a branch corral and a weird looking duck --face of a turkey, body of a large duck! The family was so nice and served chicken mole, rice and refried beans. It's a traditional food for weddings. I really enjoyed the day and then they began setting up for a dance with large speakers, a stage, instruments, etc. We did not stay for the dance. 

I went to Colon yesterday in the morning around 11 a.m. and called you, Ray, Dad but machines were on. I called my house and got a machine also! I was disappointed I did not get to hear one friendly voice! Thanks for all your cards and letters. I've really enjoyed hearing from you. I look forward to seeing if sister has a yellow envelope for me!!! (Allen sent me a card every day and they always arrived in a yellow envelope.) Sounds like the house is all right, thanks to you. By the way, did I tell you my nickname is Foghorn? Because I, heaven forbid, snore! Last night I was alone because everyone was gone. Later, Always Erlinda 

Received 28 July 92

********************************************************************************

July 20, 1992 Monday p.m. 2:30

Dearest Erlinda, I received a card and a letter dated July 4, 1992, this noon.  It sure was nice to hear from you. I am going to make this letter short, because I made up a box (care package) and I just mailed it so I'm going to hurry up and mail this this so you will know to expect the box. I sure hope it is something you can use. Strange you can fall in love with those children so quick, and I've been hoping for almost 3 years??!! OH WELL!!! I miss you and I love you. I'll go mail this now, more later. Allen x0x0x

**********************************************************************************

July 14, 1992

Dear Ray, I'm frantically writing because in a few hours one of the volunteers will be leaving and I want to give her some letters so she can mail them from the states. You will probably receive this letter first before you get the ones I mailed earlier. I spoke with Allen about a week ago and he still hadn't received anything from me so I know it takes a long time. I've sent you a letter and some cards.   I'm enjoying my stay here.  Last night I didn't get to bed until almost 1:15 a.m. because Fr. Norman took us out to eat at a quaint village. It was a great restaurant and the name of the town is Indian sounding but I don't know, well I don't remember, the name.  It took us about an hour to get there. I want to return when there's daylight. It was a going away dinner for Robin and Carrie. Carrie, my friend, leaves to return home today. Robin, the bitch, leaves on Friday. We have a little red pickup at our disposal so I am taking Carrie to Colon and Kaley will take her to Queretaro so she can get the bus to Mexico City. I've really enjoyed the time Carrie has been here. She is a French teacher at Regis High School. We talked about all the Jesuits. About two days after I arrived I was bitten on my leg by something -- no one could tell me what; mosquito, ant, spider and the doctor said, "It's an insect bite"!!! The bumps were like chicken pox -- red and with a white center, I guess you could say a small red volcano. When I scratched a scab appeared. I put cream. I used Benadryl, I tried everything and for about a week I itched. They finally went away. It inspired me to write a poem called Lolita, La Pulgita (Lolita The Flea). So far I have been content and it is exciting to see a child learn. Our kindergarten kids are beginning to learn the sounds of letters. One child, Martin, is very smart. One kid, Manuel was moved up to the 1st grade. 

Cali, the nurse, discovered some of the kids had scabies (?) Do you know what that is? The clothes and blankets have been boiled in huge pots (may be the same ones they use for cooking!)and the kids change their clothes twice a day. Yesterday another kid had them and all in all, there were about ten kids infected. We are getting ready to leave so I'll continue this letter later -- I am thinking about my slide show and you'll be one of the first to see it. I'll even show you the ones from Europe!! Ray, hope you are feeling all right, talk to you later, Always, Erlinda

Received July 28, 1992

************************* ******************************************************

July 19, 1992

Dear Ray, Father is leaving tomorrow for a fund raiser dinner in Colorado. If you see anything in the paper please save it for me. I believe that Gov. Romer and Mayor Webb are supposed to be attending. This stay here has been great, other than those bites I got when I first arrived. I have been in good health.  Of course, who knows about chicken pox -- I think it takes 14-18 days before it shows up. I've had it before but who knows? (There had been a chicken pox outbreak before I arrived and that is probably why I am concerned.) How have you been?  Anything going on?  Have you talked with Raul? I wonder how his "cowboy trip" turned out. Yesterday I got up early and took a walk for about an hour. I took my camera and took some nice scenic shots. Later we drove to Colon and I tried calling you and Allen but your machines were on. The weather is perfect. It did rain for a day and a half but after that it has been warm but not too hot. Yesterday, after my unsuccessful attempts to reach you Colorado folks!!!one of the volunteers and I went to a wedding in a little village with Fr. Coleman. He is a priest that wears sandals, has white wispy hair, wears a dirty straw hat and never speaks. When he does speak it's with a slow-sleepy like voice. I've seen him here all by himself and both he and Fr. Norman have horrible Spanish. Yesterday for the first time he acted friendly and he is very interesting. He is a Benedictine priest from Pecos, NM. He drives a yellow pickup that he brought back on one of his visits. I have the keys to a red Luv which I can drive when I can get away. He asked me how I liked the Luv and I told him I feel fortunate to have a vehicle. He said he brought the Luv when he first came out to Santa Maria.

The wedding was interesting, the bride looked pretty in a white dress, the father of the bride wore new jeans, the groom's family looked better dressed than the bride's family. The priest met the couple at the entrance of the church and the couple entered together. Fr. gave a sermon about how the wife should obey her husband and how he has the last word. I could not believe what the priest was saying! After the mass, the priest asked me what I thought about the sermon and I told him he was giving men free license to do as they pleased. His response was "but I also said that if the man loves the woman, he will do as she wishes." I agreed that if the groom listened to the whole sermon it made sense but my thought was that he would only hear the first part. The reception was in another village, a very picturesque area. 20' cacti were fences.  To get up to the main part you had to go up stone levels, one level had the cacti, the next level was like a sidewalk, the next level had a large table where many guests were sitting and eating. Chickens ran around loose and a burro on another level was braying - funny looking beast! On another level was a thatched roof kitchen where the food was brought out. Chicken mole (red sauce), rice and refried beans plus soda pop was served.  There was a weird looking duck with the head of a turkey walking around. We ate, returned the 2 guitarists and 2 girl singers to their village and we got home around 8 p.m. When we left they were setting up the band. A stage, seven to eight huge speakers and I mean huge! There was going to be a dance later. The men were drinking Corona beer and they also had Presidente brandy. Talk to you later, Always Erlinda

***********************************************************************************


These two cards I sent to Allen on June 27, 1992. "By your side I always have a good time" is what this card says. When I saw it it reminded me of you. Sorry our parting was so hectic. It has been great so far. I'm sitting in a restaurant at the terminal in Queretaro having an orange juice and toasted bread. The weather is perfect but it's only 7:50 in the morning. I'm trying to mail this card before I leave to Colon at 9 a.m. The bus fare was less than an $1.00. Take care and thanks for all you do for me. Erlinda

The other card: Here's another card that I liked. It says,  "Thanks for helping me." This is an interesting place but I don't have time to investigate, maybe later. I am taking pictures to show you when I get back. Erlinda

Both cards were received on July 15, 1992

*********************************************************************************

Letter I received from Sister Teresa after I was home.

**********************************************************************************

9-16-92

Dear  Erlinda, what a nice surprise to receive both of your letters! I'm glad you got home okay, and that you had  relaxing time in Acapulco. Cali & Ceci had a nice tan when they got back. It seems like you are quite busy with work and week end trips. Your photography hobby could turn into an exciting occupation, Good luck! The Sunday after you left turned out to be a very sad day. Many parents and relatives came to take the kids, some for a few days and others for the whole month; about 40% left. Sister Tere told me, "This is the hardest time of the year because the ones that stay realize that they don't have any place to go." Lupe, one of the twins who always seems to be in a good mood, was very angry and told me, "I don't care if everyone leaves, I hope everyone leaves! I hope they all go!" Only two of your kids left: Ruben and Angel. Ruben's father took all his kids for a whole month. Father took Cesar to the Asilo because his mother was going to pick him up and take him to his grandmas for a few days. I went to the Asilo on Sunday night and he was still waiting for the lady who never showed up. Sister Marta didn't want him to go because the grandma is a drunk, but she felt bad when Cesar returned to Santa Maria the next day looking sad. That week I took my class for a picnic and wanted Cesar to go with us, but Gabriel said "No!" Sister Marta spoils him too much. All the sisters stayed in San Pedro the whole month of Aug. and between them and Gabriel I felt that I had no authority over the children. Sister Marta and I continued teaching; she had 1st and 2nd and I had 3rd and 4th grade, Sister only taught 1 1/2 weeks and said that the kids needed a rest, but I think she was the one who was tired. I took her to Colon every day and picked her up the following morning. I continued teaching for 3 weeks and then the last week I went to San Luis Potosi to visit my cousin. It's a beautiful colonial city, the churches look exactly like the ones in Spain. There was a big celebration with parades for the 400th anniversary of the city. I hope you can visit there next time, it's clean and the food is excellent.

My cousin and her husband brought me back on Sun, Aug 30 and S.M was crowded with many new faces. Eric. a good looking, blond, tall, young man from Virginia who just graduated from a Quaker University in North Carolina is here for a year. He went to the Casa de Ninos with Gabriel and his family, Sister Martha and Emma. Only the 6th grade boys stayed at Santa Maria. An Indian young man, Genaro who was working at the Asilo is taking care of them. He drives them to and back from school every day, makes sure they do their chores, and sleeps upstairs with them. At the same time he keeps an eye on all the boys from "secundaria" who also sleep on the second floor. There's no way I could do all that! I do help them with their homework and tutor Genaro who's studying secundaria in an adult school. German came back and was doing really well, but last Sunday he was caught smoking under the bridge with Philip, the gringuito. Father was here and immediately asked Gabriel to take him to his aunt's in Celaya, that's what the kids told me. I don't know if he is coming back. He has been here 7 years and Fr. feels he has broken the rules too many times. 

All your students are in 1st grade and doing well, except for Alejandro who is not going to school at all. I have not had time to talk with Sister Marta and get details. All the new little ones are going to Kinder, even Carlitos and Gabriel's girls. Jorge and Carmen are in S.M. and their baby was baptized Jose Juan. Clyde is here during the week and at the Asilo on weekends. Pancho and his wife and kids are living in the trailer, but will return to Colon as soon as a couple arrives from Michigan any day now.  They are also waiting for Margaret and her sister who will stay for a month. Conchita moved back to S.M. the week I spent in San Luis. I invited her but she had to move all her stuff and by the middle of the week she was really sick after eating chicken. She started vomiting and diarrhea and finally had to go the the doctor and it took her a week to recover. This is the first time in all her years of travel that she has been sick. She has reservations to return home on October 5. Cecilia and the 2 Blancas are going to Preparatoria in Queretaro. They live in a house owned by Father. They came to visit last Sunday and said they liked school and seem happy. Ceci's sister, Lucero, decided at the last minute that she didn't want to continue studying. Too bad, they are so young and don't realize that education is the only way of getting out of the low-class in this society. Three young men are also in Queretaro studying prepa and work for their room and board. Miguel Olmos, another Miguel, Alejandro and another young man live in a Casa de Ninos run by a friend of Father Norman's.

Doña Manuela is now at S.M. Rumors are that she was not doing a good job at the Casa de Ninos and then her son got into trouble (Jorge, the one in secundaria) so Fr. told her that she had to stay at S.M. and keep an eye on him. Juanito is also here and a new 2 year old boy. During the week it is very quiet but on the weekend there must be about 200 kids. To feed them all they had to use my classroom for a lunch room also. I'm in charge of the secundaria and watch the t.v. lessons, 17 minutes each, so that I can help them in the afternoon with their homework. Three young teachers from Colon come every day, one for each grade. 7th, 8, and 9th. The director said he was going to request that I teach also, as if things are done so legal, but as it turned out, I am now a substitute teacher without a permit. I do enjoy tutoring and teaching. By the way, the new building was finished, the wing on the back and we have the majority of classes there. The rooms are very nice with beautiful tile. I hear that Fr. wants some of those rooms for U.S. visitors. Besides teaching I have to take care of books, supplies and tuition since more than half are from the ranchitos and they pay whatever they can afford. There are some Otomi Indians here this year.

Thank you so much for taking the books to the States, I really appreciate it. I'm glad you met some of my kids. When you go to CA to see your daughter I hope that you will meet the rest of my family. Marisela got a job with the LA city schools, I hope she meets your daughter since they are neighbors (Cypress and Fullerton.) Say hi to Carrie for me, too bad she didn't get to meet Eric. Hope to see you soon. Cariñosamente, Norma

P.S. I drove almost everyday during Aug, but now Fr. Coleman and Pancho don't give me a chance. Fr. has had his truck in the shop for about six weeks and I hear he's planning to sell it. We have not had any rain and so the pig has not visited me and the cow is in a little corral on the other side of the laundry building. It goes for walks during the day but I keep my distance. Ismael has not returned. The last week Kali was here she took him to Queretaro for surgery. I believe she had him circumcised. She bought him clothes games, etc. and took care of him for a whole week at the Casa de Ninos. His step-father came and after a big argument with Fr., he was allowed to take him for a few days. After 4 weeks he has not returned. Conchita is not going to tell Kali because she doesn't want to upset her. Yes, I found the battery for my camera in San Luis! Norma



**********************************************************************************

Oct 2, 1992

Dear Herlinda, Jorge brought me your letter this morning (9-17). We are all happy that you are coming, and Cesar wanted to know, "When is Noviembre?" I do hope you have received my 2 letters I mailed you from Colon. Conchita is leaving Sun. morning (10-4) and she's going to mail this letter from Washington. She's hoping to arrive in Alaska on Tuesday. I'm going to miss her a lot. The American couple from Michigan finally arrived last Saturday. Fr. had said they were going to be in charge of S.M. and were coming for a year. Both are young and speak very little Spanish, and they don't look happy. I think they are having cultural shock and they don't feel well. I don't think they are going to last. Conchita was hoping she would take over the sewing program but she doesn't know how to sew. Conchita has been working hard training the ones who were in her summer class to be leaders and continue with the work. She is leaving all kinds of kits, pillow cases, pajamas, already cut and school uniforms for the girls to finish. Last Sunday, Fr. decided that all the girls should make their own uniforms so Conchita had to go to Queretaro on Monday to get material and in 4 days all the 5 leaders have finished them.

Father left last Tuesday for his 2 month checkup in the states. Gabriel says that Fr. has a slide projector but he doesn't know what kind or the #. Fr. has the S.M. video and he thinks that there shouldn't be any problem in getting you a copy. Gabriel says that if you bring a slide projector he will buy it from you. He can afford to pay around $150 dollars; he saw a used one in Qtr for $180. No, Kali didn't get a serenade. The guy talked to Conchita a day before Kali left and he was surprised to find out that Kali was leaving the next day, Clyde told me that Fr. Coleman had written a 2 page memo to Fr. Antonio and accused me of putting the wrong gas and using the 4 wheel drive, etc. Jorge told me he also heard about it. I really got upset and I was ready to confront him but decided to forgive and forget. I didn't come here to fight with anyone, much less a priest. He had his truck in the shop for 2 months and he brought it home last week but he hasn't driven it. 

(The rest of the letter she wrote in Spanish but I will translate it into English.) Everyone is preparing for the Fiesta of Day of the Raza. Last week everyone was outside, on ladders, painting and fixing the walls. The Plaza is almost finished. Five of our alumni will participate in a contest by reciting poetry about Christopher Columbus. One of them is Chispas and he is the best one. I had to teach two days because some of the teachers were absent. One teacher misses a lot because he has to attend many meetings. I am going to write to President Salinas because I cannot believe teachers are permitted to have such frequent meetings during the time they should be teaching the kids. I have written to some of my retired teacher friends but no one is accepting my invitation to come and volunteer. I hope you receive this letter this week! Cariñosamente, Norma

**********************************************************************************



***********************************************************************************

7-9-92

Dear Mom, This is my second letter to you -- did you get the first one? Elinor called me yesterday and wanted your address so I think she'll be writing you too. How are things going?  I haven't heard from you so I assume things are going well. How's the weather? Were you affected by the hurricane? Darby? It brought strange weather here, extremely humid and cloudy, Today it looks like it will be a sunny day. My Life drawing class ended yesterday and I think I am going to miss it. I really learned a lot. Hopefully, I'll keep drawing. It's just like anything else, if you don't do it regularly, you lose it. Have you had time to do any writing or are you too busy? We had a fun 4th of July last Saturday in San Diego. We were at the beach practically all day relaxing, playing volleyball, and occasionally taking dips in the ocean. It was a perfect day. The fireworks were cancelled and that was a bummer. We stayed at Chris and Tina's which was better than a hotel room. Sat. is the Gypsy King concert with all of our Peace Corp buddies. We're going to have a little BBQ here first and then head down in Patty's van (Eric's sister) to Irvine Meadows where the concert is being held.

Things are changing at work. I'm taking Kathy's advanced class and Miguel is taking over my class. We only have four more weeks until vacation so I think I can handle it. I'll miss my class but the experience will be good. I don't think we'll be able to make it out to Colorado. I think I mentioned that in the letter that didn't make it before you left. It would just be too much to go in August and December. Eric is fine and is teaching half days for the rest of the month. We're still training for our bike ride with Edgar and Luisa to San Diego -- I think we are going at the end of this month. Well, Erlinda, I guess that's about all the news around here. I am submitting that "clothesline" painting today and hopefully I'll get chosen, but like I said last time, I'm not holding my breath! Hope all is well with you and you are healthy and happy. Cuidate! Love Barbara

P.S. Haven't had any big earthquakes but lots of aftershocks. Dad is coming the 24-26 to pick up grandma.

Barb's homemade air mail envelope, how clever is that?




*********************************************************************************

I did return in November for two weeks and it was wonderful to see the children. I stayed in a silver trailer and when the kids came to visit we would sit outside under a lime tree! When I arrived it was late and there were no plans on where I would sleep so Eric invited me to share his room. I slept in his room in my own bed but I teased him and told him I would tell every one I slept with him and he blushed. The next day I was given the keys to the trailer and got a ride to Santa Maria! This time I felt more like a tourist than a volunteer. My kids had learned to read and wanted to read to me.

Reading the letters, looking at pictures and reading my journal brings back so many wonderful memories of my time spent in Colon, Mexico at Santa Maria del Mexicano. In July, 1993 I returned for another month and met new volunteers:  Erica, Jacob Abeytia, ?, Allen, me and Helen.


                                                                                    Adios for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment