Sunday, February 21, 2021

Ode To My Son


Zero to Fifty-Three

Before he arrived

I knew he was a mover

a kicker

maybe a soccer player

like his Dad

or some kind of athlete.

With his little feet

a tissue he could send flying.

We marveled at our unborn son.


Then, I held the tiny baby

warm and loving

how he liked

Puff The Magic Dragon.

Lying in my arms,

long lashes

chocolate eyes

dimpled smile

So special our first son.


Years passed

taller than me

full of fun

life of a party

enjoyed his drinks

maybe too much.

Then he was fifty-three

A stranger he became

the same, yet not the same.


Love was still there

his actions hard to accept.

Who would have known

the bright light that once had shown

would fade away

like a sun's ray

on a cloudy day.

He was leaving, our special son.


Then he was gone

His life was done.

I watched him sleep,

long lashes

unable to smile

peaceful, quiet,

fast asleep

never to wake,

the end of our beautiful son.


E. Moscoso

February 2, 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment