We met at Meeker Jr. High School and became friends. We would walk to school together, we played sports and were on an Intramural team for three years, (volleyball, basketball, soccer), she lived about a block from me, we belonged to the Sodality at Our Lady of Peace Church, we could eat a pint of White House ice cream each, went to catechism classes eating a dill pickle, sun flower seeds or sucking on a lemon. (The Victory Knoll nuns did not like that at all!) We loved drinking Green Rivers, attending dances at the State Armory, working in a laundry folding sheets at our very first job that her grandfather found for us. We both belonged to Pep Club and would need to be on the field to practice at 6 a.m. and we attended all the games. We played hooky from school once or maybe twice, went on picnics sitting in the back of a truck, (no seat belt required then) and I was a bridesmaid in her wedding, she came to my wedding and we saw each other off and on for the next seventy years. I remember her home being filled with family as they came over for Sunday brunch every week to feast on beans, potatoes, green chili, and homemade tortillas. Every 4th of July I traveled to Greeley for the parade and spend time with her either at a local park or at her home.
Then, sadly, on October 13, 2021, she sighed her last breath. Her funeral mass was at St. Peter's Catholic Church in Greeley, Colorado on October 22. The cantor was a young woman with a beautiful voice and she sang many hymns to Our Blessed Mother. As I entered the church a lone saxophone player sent low notes vibrating through the whole church. Seeing the five daughters in the front row made me cry. They were such a close family and the daughters had watched over their Mom after their Dad passed away. I knew it would be difficult for them because losing a mother, who loves her children unconditionally, is hard. I remember it took me five years to get over losing my mother and after five years I could finally mention her name without bursting into tears.
The family had chosen to wear the color purple so at a glance I knew who was part of the family! The casket was a deep blue with silver handles, there were bouquets of flowers given by friends and family, the priest gave a homily about how she was now in heaven and watching over us, a granddaughter gave a touching eulogy and then it was time to go to the Sunset Memorial Gardens to say our final goodbyes.
What I remember are lots of flowers, purple and white balloons, being handed a rose to place on the casket, the priest leading us in prayer and giving each daughter a crucifix as a remembrance, Mexican music being played that I figured were my friend's favorite songs. And then came the emotional goodbyes by the five daughters as they cried over the casket and I heard, "Mama why did you leave us, I don't know what I am going to do without you, Mama I love you, Oh, Mom, I don't want to say goodbye." They hugged the blue casket, they placed flowers on top, and their laments continued. Their faces were contorted in their pain and I could feel their agony. Some of the grandchildren sang along with music and it surprised me that they knew enough Spanish to sing along! After all, it was another generation.
The reception was a time to see my friend's siblings and meet their families. How proud my friend would be as she looked down from heaven at her family. At eighty-three she had done much in her life and raised a wonderful and beautiful family. How proud I felt to have been friends with her for such a long time. Even when there were times when years went by without seeing each other, when we did get together it was as if no time had passed.
Goodbye my friend, memories of us together will keep you alive for me.
Rest in Peace, my friend.
"Even the best of friends cannot
attend each other's funeral."
Kehlog Albran
A beautiful friend and lady gone before she and you were ready.
ReplyDelete