What Is Guilt
Why was I feeling guilty when I had not done anything wrong? I purchased a t-shirt that was too small, so I returned it. I told the clerk I wanted to exchange the shirt for one size larger. The clerk said, "all you have to do is go pick out the larger size, put it in the bag, and you don't have to check out. You have the receipt in the bag." She handed me the empty bag and I went to pick out the one size larger t-shirt.
Never have I returned an item where this sort of transaction is done. Usually, they give me the money and I go get the merchandise and go through the cashier again. In the past, I have suggested to do it the way this clerk had done it, but I was told the return has to be rung up with the new purchase. Something about keeping merchandise and sales straight in their books.
I found the t-shirt, got it and felt guilty as I put it in the bag. I then walked toward the exit, expecting someone to stop me so I could show them the receipt. No one did and it wasn't until I reached my car, that I relaxed. I wondered why I felt guilty when I had done nothing wrong!
The Internet explained that guilt is the emotion of a negative feeling one experiences for a wrongdoing of being untruthful or deceptive. It's a heavy burden on one's conscience and because what you do is right in your terms but not in society's view or vice-versa.
Even with the explanation, I still am at a loss as to why I felt guilty!
The worst guilt is to accept
an unearned guilt.
Ayn Rand
No comments:
Post a Comment