WILL I BE BLE TO CALL HIM FATHER
A few days ago, a friend had a get together for her relative, a priest. I had attended some of his masses at Spirit of Christ Catholic Community but had never seen him up close. What a surprise to see this tall, handsome young man, and I mean young, as he was introduced to me. Gee whiz, I thought, I could be his great-grandmother!
He has a great sense of humor, is polite, friendly, and pleasant to be around. The thought that ran through my mind was: Would I ever be able to call him Father or even better, would I be able to confess my sins to him? There is quite a difference in the experience between old and young and in my case fifty-two years!
I mentioned my thoughts to my friend and her response was: "Calling him Father is showing him respect for the time he studied hard to become a priest." My feelings had nothing to do with showing respect and my respect for him is the same as I would have with any other priest. I admire his vocation and feel privileged to know him. When I have been to one of his masses, I enjoyed his homilies, yet it just seems odd saying Father to a person so much younger than me!
Jesus was thirty-two years old when he died and I am sure some of his apostles were older than Jesus, and they called him, "Father." So maybe in time, I will also call this young man Father. I will have to wait and see but this was my first impression after meeting him.
Father,* thank you for following your vocation and becoming a priest.
With your help you will bring people closer to God.
*I have no problem writing Father!
No comments:
Post a Comment