Monday, January 2, 2012

The Tournament of Roses

Parades are fun to watch and ever since I was a little girl I have enjoyed standing on the sidelines cheering and clapping. Seeing the variety of floats, people, cars, horses, soldiers, dogs, clowns, bands and dancers as they march to the beat of the drums gives me a feeling of happiness. When the American flag comes by and everyone stands up I feel a tightening of my throat and tears prepare to spring out of my eyes. I can feel the beat of the large drum deep inside me as different bands, in their colorful uniforms, march past me.  Excitement  spreads throughout my body as I enjoy each group either marching or riding. I like the well groomed horses as they prance along gracefully. Politicians trying to get votes turn me off and ruin the parade for me.

When I was around three years old I saw my first parade in Greeley, Colorado.  The 4th of July celebrations were big then, and still are, with a parade, a rodeo, a carnival and fireworks. My brother and I would get new western clothing....cowboy shirt, a red hanky around the neck, boots, jeans and a holster with a toy gun.  My father held me in his arms so I could see the parade and then took us to Island Grove Park for the Spud Rodeo. I remember a lot of dust and sunburn. In 1971 the name of the celebration changed to Greeley Independence Stampede and the parade has become one of the largest in the area.

Later in my life, parades for St. Patrick's Day and Columbus Day were fun and festive.  For Thanksgiving I watched the Macy Parade on television. But, when my California family invited me to the Tournament of Roses in Pasadena in 2008 I found out what a real parade was all about.  Seats are sold in bleachers to enjoy the parade sitting down or people can stand along the side of the street. There is happy excitement all around as vendors sell souvenirs and food.

When I saw the first float I was surprised to see how huge it was and that the whole float was made with flowers and organic materials.  Each float was more beautiful than the next.  Every kind of flower was used. There were so many band members that I wondered why I had thought that 30 to 50 band members were a lot. Celebrities rode on floats and the one that impressed me was George Lucas of Star War fame. Hundreds of Star War soldiers marched in formation. The beauty of the whole parade amazed me.



I still like parades but none will ever compare to the spectacular Rose Bowl parade. This morning I watched the parade on television and it was beautiful with all the gorgeous flowers and the clever themes, but in order to appreciate a parade to its full extent I need to stand, or sit, on the sidelines!

1 comment: