Saturday, February 11, 2012

Pablo

Not too long ago, I overheard Grandma Erlinda say that she was reading a book called The Art of Racing in the Rain and the story was from a dog's viewpoint. I thought I would give it a try and tell you about what happened during the first week in February.


Something was going on.  Lots of movement.  Coming in, going out, doors opening, doors closing and cupboards banging.  When I saw Grandma Erlinda walk in, I knew something was up because she lives in Colorado and I am in California.  I glanced out the front door and saw our camping trailer in the driveway. Excitement ruffled my white fur; we were going camping!

I headed for my round, comfy bed in the corner of the room and relaxed. From my bed I would pretend to be asleep but I could watch and hear everything. Soon, I realized I would not be going camping. Neither would the girls. Grandma Erlinda had come to stay with us while Mom and Dad went to a place called Arizona.

The time had come for Mom's gourd artwork to be sold. She goes to gourd shows a few times a year but this year they seemed to be going far away.  I remembered curling up near Mom's  feet and watching her work on her gourds. She amazed me at how she could take plain, tan gourds and make monkey, dog, zebra, lion, or antelope faces They looked so real I wanted to bark at them.  She also created flowers, people faces, birds, modern art designs and fancy carved bowls out of oddly shaped gourds. I watched as she carefully photographed each piece and then packed each art work in crates.



When the house got quiet I got up and went out the open front door just in time to see the trailer roll out of the driveway. As hands waved good bye, I wagged my tail!  Being left for someone else to take care of me is not fun.  My feeding goes off-kilter because either they forget to feed me or they are too busy to fill my water dish.  Eventually it gets done, but it is not my regular schedule.  No one played with me and a quick pat on my head is all I got. I felt lonely and a bit depressed so I slept a lot. When the door opened I knew it was time to go outside. I found a sunny patch on the porch to stretch out. You would have thought I was a cat looking for a warm spot to relax! I am eighty-four years old, if it is true that 7x12 equals my age, and I need lots of warmth and a soft bed.

Hours would go by and the house was silent. I was happy when I heard  Grandma Erlinda enter with the girls. I stood at the door and smiled and wagged my tail until they let me in. I went directly to my bed and fell asleep. Sleeping on my bed is so much better than sleeping on the porch!  After the girls left for school, Grandma Erlinda took me for a walk.  This is one of my favorite pass times.  I love walking in the neighborhood!  She walks slower than anyone I know but it gives me more time to sniff at the grass, bushes, posts and trees. My favorite is a fire hydrant and I give it a big squirt!  How I enjoy those smells and then right in the same spot I raise my leg and mark the spot.  When she pulls I brace myself and I won't budge.  Doesn't she know I am not finished with my marking technique?   I try not to poop on other people's lawns because I know no one likes to clean up after me.  Even though Grandma Erlinda carries a plastic bag to clean up my mess, I try not to do anything on our walk.

After our walk, I am thirsty and drink lots of water. Sometimes, one of the girls will take me around the block.  I miss Mom.  She  pets me a lot, tickles me, picks me up, cuddles me, talks to me and takes me for long runs.  When we get back after one of her energetic runs, I am exhausted.

The week was over before I could say "woof."  We were all together again and conversations turned to what we did and how the gourd show turned out. It sounded like a fun show! I love to see them all seated around the table eating dinner and sometimes food drops to the floor. I love people food and anything that falls on the floor is an extra treat for me!

Now we are back to normal.  I  enjoy sleeping on my soft pillow, getting dog biscuits every once in awhile, and back to my daily routine. What a fun time I had telling you about my adventures on that first week in February of 2012. Maybe I should tell more stories.  What do you think?

Here I am with Grandma Erlinda.

No comments:

Post a Comment