When a religious object is blessed and gets broken, what is done with it? There is no way that I could toss any of my chipped or broken statues because my catholic guilt would be too great! Who knows, maybe the saint would even get angry with me! I also have many dry palms from Palm Sunday around the house because I never remember to take the old palms to the church to have them burned. I know that the ashes from the palms are used on Ash Wednesday. A few broken rosaries are in a drawer and not knowing if they have been blessed or not, I hang on to them, though I can never use them.

Our Lady of Guadalupe has a broken piece that even if I glue it, poor
Juan Diego still needs his hair colored. Infant of Prague is without a
hand. A few other statues with limbs broken are stored in a box somewhere in
the basement.
"Once a religious object is blessed and dedicated for divine worship it must be treated with reverence and not to be used in either an improper or profane way." (cf. Code of Cannon Law #1171) In the same article with the code, I read that the blessed object is either burned or buried. Once I had a garage sale and put out a few statues but instead of
selling them I gave them away. I could tell the people that carried my
statues away would give them a good home.
Seems to me I will have quite a ceremony when I decide to bury all my
broken statues and rosaries.
 |
| Some of my broken rosaries. |
No comments:
Post a Comment