Saturday, January 25, 2014

Small Church Community

"A Small Church Community is a small group of adults, at times children, 
who gather to reflect on their lives in the light of the gospel and to share
 their Christian faith through prayer, friendship and service."
 Taken from the Church Bulletin


Forty years ago, at Spirit of Christ Catholic Community, small church groups were formed. On Friday, January 24, 2014, over two hundred persons attended mass, shared in a delicious pot luck, and enjoyed watching a video of people that had come together in 1974 to form the first Small Church Community.
The video continued to the present groups and I was impressed by the friendships that had formed through the years. Some of the groups were beginning a third generation of friendships.

I saw young people, children, older folks and middle age people and couldn't help but think how it seemed as if the whole parish was involved. Last year I was asked to join a group and have attended three meetings
where we have shared learning about Vatican II and sharing life stories with the group. Already I have seen the help and kindness of some of the persons in the group. It surprised me that it was not a lip service but that the people are sincere and want to help. One good thing about breaking my ankle is my knowing how many persons at Spirit of Christ who belong to a Small Church Community have offered to help me.

For me, John 13: 34-35 sums up the Small Church Community: "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.  By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another."





No comments:

Post a Comment