Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Remembering Boston

My sister-in-law posted a picture on Facebook showing many dinghys of different colors. She mentioned the photo was taken in Rockport, a village near the water. My memory went into overdrive as I remembered one of my visits to Framingham, near Boston. My brother and sister-in-law are super hosts and when I visit, I am shown many interesting spots along the coast. In 2010 we visited Salem and Rockport.

Salem was spooky and fun. I never knew what ghoul would be jumping out to attack me! Pirates strolled through the streets. It was a perpetual Halloween festival and even some visitors dressed in costumes to come to Salem. My sister-in law- had fun being teased by a living statue!


We ate at the Causeway restaurant where you bring your own bottle of wine (or whatever you want to drink!) There is a waiting line but the fish food is tasty and worth the wait. In case you forget to bring something to drink, there is a liquor store right next door!


Rockport was like being in a picture in a magazine. Quaint, brilliant colors, houses on stilts, boats, a coast line, wooden buildings and friendly people. A red boat house, I was told, is the most photographed in the area.
The shops have interesting items for sale and it was fun wandering in and out of the different themed stores.I saw a lot of scrimshaw.

What I liked about the different places we visited, is that everything is fairly close. As we drove from one beautiful spot to another, it did not take long to arrive at another historical place.



 Not only did we play tourists but I walked with my brother and his dog, Chewbacca, through the neighborhood. We ate wonderful dinners prepared by my sister-in law who in my opinion is a gourmet chef. We ate at wonderful restaurants.

Visited an art museum, shopped, saw Old Ironsides in Boston harbor and went to movies. I used to love to visit them when they lived on Long Island, New York, because they lived in an area, that to me seemed like a mountain resort on a bay. From their upstairs window I could see their boat. Now that I have visited Boston, I realize it is pretty spectacular also. From their screened in porch I took a picture of swans in their "'backyard" pond!  To me, coming from Colorado, it is a lake but I was corrected and told it is a pond! Even a wedding party seemed so much more exciting and unique on a wharf.



What a glorious vacation spent with my family in 2010. I have returned to visit them a few more times and each time a memorable visit is imprinted in my brain!

No comments:

Post a Comment