Thursday, October 29, 2015

Marigolds


Marigolds are called Flowers of the Dead in some countries. On All Soul's day, the Marigold is the flower most used to honor the dead. The Internet had these facts:  In Aztec times the flower was used as a healing plant and was a remedy for hiccups, anyone struck by lighting, diarrhea, liver problems, vomiting, or toothaches. The flower was made into a tea, eaten or worn.

I have heard that the Marigold is planted around gardens to keep pests away because of its unpleasant smell. Marigolds are easy to grow and can grow from 8" to 18" depending on what kind it is and in what country. In Africa the plant may grow to 36" tall.

While in Mexico, I would see Marigolds in the cemetery. It was thought that the smell of the flower would guide the dead, and for one day, the dead would visit the living. It's a nice thought and altars are set up for those who have gone ahead. Items liked by the deceased are placed on the altar. Last year I had an altar for my parents and placed a Tequila bottle for my Dad and movie magazines for my Mom. There were other items that I recalled my parents liked plus I added my brother and placed a McDonald's Big Mac box on the altar in his honor. See my blogs of October 28, 2012, Dia de los Muertos; November 1, 2014, Working on an Altar for Day of the Dead; and November 7, 2014, Hot Apple Cider and Day of the Dead Bread. This year I did not do an altar and if spirits do come to visit, I hope they understand that I did not have time to prepare an altar this year!

"Open afresh your round
of starry folds,
ye ardent marigolds."
John Keats

No comments:

Post a Comment