It snowed most of the night. It was cold and the weather report showed 9 degrees. My driveway had about two inches of new snow. The last thing I wanted to do was to meet the casino bus in the parking lot of my church. The casino trips were a monthly occurrence and it just so happened one was scheduled for today. My phone rang and two people canceled. Then another person called and said she could not get out of her driveway and would not be going. My secret wish was that everyone would call and cancel. Oh, how I wished that would happen. Eight other persons did cancel but I still had about thirty who had not.
![]() |
| Three Gambling Friends |
Just then the green and white Pacesetter bus turned the corner and I knew we would soon be on our way to the Mardi Gras casino in Blackhawk. I also wondered if we were crazy to attempt a trip to the mountains when the weather was so awful. We slowly shuffled through snow and ice to get to the bus. Once on the bus, I felt some relief. Usually the gamblers total about fifty to fifty-five persons and on this cold morning I had a total of twenty-four crazy persons!
If miracles happen, I would say that one happened today. The roads were dry, the scenery was beautiful with evergreen trees flocked in white snow, and the bus was warm and filled with laughter! Our excellent bus driver got us to the casino in the same amount of time as if it were a summer-time trip. Four hours of gambling; winning, losing, winning and losing kept us all entertained.
Sometimes, fear will keep us from doing something we want to do but once "you bite the bullet" you find out it wasn't so bad after all. Especially for a bunch of crazy gamblers!
"There is nothing like overcoming
something that scares you.
Nothing feels better."
Laura Wilkinson

No comments:
Post a Comment