Thursday, November 26, 2015

Trust In Me


The one theme that I see running through the Bible is that every time the Israelites doubted, did not have faith, or thought they knew better, something horrible would happen. Even though I profess to know and believe in God, I know it is not 100% and that makes me feel unworthy and a little scared.

Today is Thanksgiving Day and yesterday I made plans to take a reverse gift I had purchased and some items for the food bank to the mass. It is a tradition at our church to bring nonperishable food for the Arvada Food bank on Thanksgiving.

As life in Colorado would have it, I woke up this morning to a layer of snow and reports that driving could be treacherous because of  patches of black ice. I decided not to go to mass. After all, today does not fall under the category of a holy day of obligation! Yet, I felt uneasy that on this special day of thanksgiving, I would not attend mass. I have much to be thankful for and this special day comes once a year and here I was, hemming and hawing. An argument went on in my head: Go but what if I slide and have an accident. Don't go and possibly have regrets later. Go since I don't live that far from the church. Don't go and stay in my warm house; why get out in the 20 degree weather. Go or not go went back and forth like a ping-pong game in my head.

I remembered reading in the Bible something to the effect of: "They are children still, spiritually, and they need to learn to trust their Father and walk in faith before they are ready to posses the land promised them"  When the thought of "trust in God," entered my mind, I recalled what I had read in the Bible. Was I being like the Israelites and not trusting in God? Where was my faith? What if I gave up all my fears, my laziness, and my doubts to God and trusted that he would get me to church without sliding, without having an accident, or helping me make it to the church in time for mass. I made up my mind to trust in God and whatever His will would be, that was up to him, but I knew I was acting on my faith.

The drive to church was slower than usual and the snow may have been sticking to the pavement but my car never slid. In the parking lot I could see the snow and ice and as I began to carefully make my way toward the entrance someone came from behind and put her arm through mine. "Shall we help each other?" She asked.  "Somehow, she continued, "there seems to be more security in two walking together than walking alone!" I had a feeling she was an angel who came to help me walk over the icy sidewalk!



I saw people I know, got some hugs, wishes for a Happy Thanksgiving and the sermon touched my soul. The altar was beautiful with a cornucopia of  farm goods.  Right before the offertory a sea of people moved down the aisles taking their donations of food for the Food Bank. I felt overwhelmed with love and thankfulness for my life. Most of all, as I talked to God, I said, "Thank you for all that I have, thank you for my health, thank you for my family and friends and most of all thank you for getting my sorry self out of bed and to mass this morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment