Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Cherie, Julian and George

Sometimes I want to do this with my lap top!

When I called technical support about my computer my question was "Where is the print button?" The first thing Cherie asked me to do was to "remove the battery." I told her that in the past when I called for help, I could not remove the battery. "Well, let's try it." We tried and the battery would not come out. Cherie then continued, "All right, let's see why you can't find that print button." After of about forty-five minutes of doing as she instructed, I still could not see the print button. Everything else would come up but no print button. All she kept saying was that she had never run into my type of problem.

She then transferred me to Julian. His voice sounded professional and business like. "What we are going to do is to have you transfer everything to me and I will work on it from this end." He took me through the process of turning over my computer to him and the next thing I knew, he was moving the mouse, clicking on certain things, cursor rapidly moving across my screen and it all seemed like magic to me. It made me nervous that he could work on my computer and hoped he was an honest man because he now had access to everything on my computer! He solved the problem by making my overall print smaller. Now I had a print button but I had problems reading what I was typing!

After another thirty or so minutes, he said, "I think you will now be able to print." I got back into my computer, and there at the bottom of my screen I saw the button with "Print" written on it. I thanked Julian and told him he was terrific and I wished he could sit beside me daily as I typed and he chuckled and said, "Thank you for your kind words and good luck with your printing."

I prepared my document for printing and the print button was gone again. After a few choice words I called the help people again. This time I got George. He read all that Cherie and Julian had done and I thought I detected a scoff....as if he knew more than they did. "Are you using Internet Explorer?"
"No," I answered, I am using Microsoft Edge." He then proceeded to get me into Internet Explorer which I was not sure I wanted to do and told him I had to get off the computer but I would call him back when I returned from my appointment. Of course, I did not have an appointment but I did not want to add or take off any programs before learning what I actually had on my computer, so I thought it best to hang up.

As I looked at the screen I noticed that the box  where I was typing did not seem to be centered but hung lower on the screen. I pulled the area where I was typing up to the top so that now it was higher on the screen. Wallah....now I could see my print button!

Should I call and let the technical support know that the problem was solved? Sometimes I think they are so far advanced that a simple trick of moving the area up higher on the screen does not enter their mind!

"Computers are like
the Old Testament God;
lots of rules and no mercy."
Joseph Campbell

1 comment: