"The Internet is so big,
so powerful and pointless
that for some people it is
a complete substitute for life!"
Andrew Brown
I called the Costco help line and after the technician tried a few things, her suggestion was to call my Internet provider. The next day I called Century Link and a fellow began to try different things to try to get me back on the Internet. "Make sure that all the connections are hooked up," he said. I told him they were. "Unplug the router and wait about five minutes." I unplugged the router and waited. "Can you see the green lights on the router? Read them to me." I read, "Power, DSL, and Wi-Fi."
"What about the Internet (Int)?" "No, that light is not green." I replied.
"Is the DSL solid or flashing?" "It's flashing."
"It should be a solid light. Okay, I will try something else. I am looking at connections near your home. All the connections are in a building, like a garage, and I can see if one of the lines is not connected."
"What would cause a line to become disconnected?" I asked.
"A number of things. A squirrel, age, corrosion, a bump, weather, things like that." I wondered if it was any of those things mentioned, how could I be so lucky!
"I saw a Century Link truck at my neighbor's house yesterday, could something have happened by a person working on the lines?"
"He could have jostled the wires. It looks as if I have to contact the repair team to go out and take a look at the connections. He should be out sometime tomorrow."
"You mean I will not have Internet for a whole day?" I could feel anger brewing in my body. "Maybe what I need to do is change my Internet provider!"
"I'm sorry," he said, "but I am doing everything I can to help you. You are getting the best customer service and I need to put an order in to have someone come out tomorrow to check the lines. I apologize for the inconvenience. Someone will call you tomorrow."
I was not happy when I hung up. This morning I received a call from a technician and he said he would come by around three in the afternoon. I told him I would be gone most of the day but secretly I hoped that when I returned, my Internet would be fixed. It was.
The feeling of losing an important part of my life is exaggerated when I lose my Internet service. It's as if part of me is lost. Yet, what a relief when all the lights on my router are green and I can get into the Internet!
"If television is a babysitter,
the Internet is a drunken
librarian who won't shut up!"
Dorothy Gambrell
Isn't it strange to think that 10-20 years ago we probably didn't have computers or weren't so "dependent" on them and the internet? Now internet failure is a major frustration!What do you suppose you would be doing if you never had internet/
ReplyDeleteGood question! Reading or watching t.v. In years past I was out dancing so I don't think not having a computer would have bothered me as much as it does now. Who knows, maybe writing a novel!!!!
ReplyDelete