Thursday, November 2, 2017

All Souls Day

A letter came from my church letting me know that the mass for All Souls would be at nine in the morning of November 2, 2017. It  was suggested that I bring a candle for my son who passed away a year ago and his name along with all the persons that passed away in the past year would have their names mentioned. When I arrived with my candle there were already about fifty flickering candles of all shapes and sizes. My candle was a lavender flower shaped holder that had been given to me for my birthday.

Our two handsome priests and a deacon were dressed in white. There was incense making swirly clouds and leaving a pungent odor as the smoke wafted over the altar. The homily was touching and insightful. Somehow, the priest gave a happy spin to death. When he finished speaking I did not feel sad but rather I had a good feeling that my son had not died forever. He was one of the lucky ones to arrive before me!  Life does not end, it is a transition and as long as I pray for him he is kept alive. How lucky is he that he is now in a safe place near God and waiting for me to join him.


We do not know when our time will come. The priest mentioned the people that were shot at Walmart and lost their lives. (On November 1, 2017, a man walked into Walmart and shot two men and a woman. All three died. Were they able to get their things in order? It is doubtful when something so unexpected happens and we never know when it will be our turn!) It is best to be as prepared as we can be so when we take a final breath, we will be ready,

The choir sang meaningful hymns, the mass was extra special, the homily was moving, and the candles flickered as if our loved ones were waving.

I will rise when he calls my name, no more sorrow, no more pain, were words of a hymn sung toward the end of mass that touched me. I loved the mass with the candles, the music, the homily, the reading of names, the deacon who blessed us with incense, and the two priests. Everything was perfect.


No comments:

Post a Comment