Monday, November 13, 2017

Feeling Thankful

Volunteering at the Arvada Food bank is full of surprises. I have helped a chef and he told me the different ways to prepare certain food. There was a woman from Guatemala who made my mouth water as she explained how she cooks certain foods. A young man who could only take what he could carry because he was walking about ten blocks to his home. One woman who also had walked to the food bank was going to walk "just down the street," with her groceries. I could tell there was no way she could carry the food she had picked so I offered her a ride home. She did not live up the street but a good half a mile from the food bank. A gentleman who liked to write poetry but was recently jobless and had to visit the food bank. A construction worker who was injured on the job and his unemployment had run out. One person was thrilled to find a turkey breast for Thanksgiving. So many stories as we "shop" with the people needing food. It makes me happy to see happiness in the faces looking at the food at the food bank. And feeling grateful for the many donors that keep the food bank supplied.

Today, a petite young woman did not take advantage of the protein section with lots of cuts of meat. Instead she went to the canned chicken and packages of tuna. I asked her why she did not want to take some meat and she shyly said, "I'm homeless." I realized that she has no place to cook or store food.  My question was, "How will you open the cans?" She smiled sweetly and said, "With a knife." My heart ached for the young girl so I asked a Food Bank worker, "Do we have any can openers to give the people who are homeless? He said they did and brought one to me. When I gave it to her she was so thankful and kept thanking me over and over again. As we walk through the aisles, the "shoppers," as we volunteers are called, chat with the people getting the food. In the course of our conversation the young homeless girl told me she was about five weeks pregnant. Another pang to my heart. From then on, I paid little attention to the point system and even helped her get things she wanted or needed. It was the only way I could help her and the little body she carried.  After she left, I found out that there are programs for homeless pregnant women that can help with other things, not just food. Live and learn!

Until we walk in someone else's shoes, we do not know what some of the persons coming to the Food Bank are going through and are suffering.  It makes be feel more thankful for what I have and I will think twice when I feel the need to complain.

"In happy moments, Praise God.
In difficult moments, Seek God.
In quiet moments, Worship God.
In painful moments. Trust God.
Every moment, Thank God."
Rick Warren


1 comment:

  1. We take many things for granted. It does us good to walk in someone else's shoes so we can also appreciate our lives. It was so kind of you to "forget the point system" to improve two lives.

    ReplyDelete