A week ago I saw things that were different in the church I attended and, in some respect, probably necessary.
1. A flyer in the bulletin informed the congregation on what to do in case of a shooter situation. Warning to be aware of the environment and possible dangers, to take notice where the nearest exits are located, if in an office, stay there and secure door, and as a last resort, take the active shooter down.
An active shooter will be engaged in killing or attempting to kill people in a confined or populated area. The shooter may select people at random or have a vendetta against someone. Law enforcement is usually required to end the situation.
The responses listed were to run by having an escape route and plan. Leave belongings behind. Keep your hands visible. Hide out of shooter's view, block entry to your hiding place, lock doors, and silence your cell phone. When police arrive, remain calm, follow instructions, raise hands and spread fingers, avoid quick movements, do not scream, point or yell, and do not touch the officers.
If able to provide information to 911 operator or officers on the scene: Give location of shooter, number of shooters, physical description of shooters, number and type of weapons, and number of victims.
This information came from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and what a surprise to find it in the church bulletin.
I do remember that after the Columbine shooting, when I attended mass I tried to find pillars or areas where I could sit to be protected if a shooter decided to begin shooting. Then, after years went by, a church did not seem to be a target and I relaxed. That is, until the church in Charleston, S.C. was targeted and nine persons were killed. Makes one wonder if any place is safe?
2. The Thanksgiving Day mass was bilingual and the music in Spanish was extremely lively. It was beautiful to see how well the priest moved from English to Spanish or vice-versa. I was happy I could understand both languages!
3. At the end of mass, before the blessing, the priest asked who had brought wine and bread to be blessed. A quarter of the congregation held up loafs of bread, bottles of wine, or both. The priest blessed the food and drink that would be used at their Thanksgiving Day meal.
4. The flyer entitled, California Catholic Bishops Urge Immigration Reform for DACA Youth and Their Families was the Bishops' pledge abiding solidarity with immigrants; Denounce the Administration's End of Program Offering Hope. I picked out a few sentences that seemed to sum up the Bishops' thinking. Catholics will remain steadfast in offering assistance to immigrants. We chose to continue to serve, comfort, and protect our brothers and sisters. We will not protect serious and violent criminals, however, we will not allow reckless rhetoric to bully us from the course of compassion and basic decency.
The paper ended with a quote from Pope Francis: "Children are a sign. They are a sign of hope, a sign of life, but also a 'diagnostic' sign, a marker indicating the health of families, society and the entire world. Wherever children are accepted, loved, cared for and protected, the family is healthy, society is healthier and the world is more human?"
These four things were different, but interesting, and made me wonder how many other churches have different ideas and customs that we do not have in Colorado.
No comments:
Post a Comment