As the handlers were brushing, washing or blow drying the large animals, one person would be rubbing the underside while another person would be primping the animal. "Why do you rub the belly of the cow," I asked. "It calms him and lets us work on it," I was told.
I found out that the aluminum stick is around 54 inches long and it is also used to move the steer. The pole is used to poke between the hoof so that the steer will backup to be lined up to show. I happened to see an auction with a young girl showing a large steer and it seemed as if the steer was dragging the girl over the place. She could barely contain him as she showed the steer and the high bid was $40,950. I guess getting dragged and pushed around is well worth it!
Being curious and wondering what to call the large animals I looked on the Internet.
Heifer is female but once she has a calf she becomes a cow.
Bull is used for breeding
Steer is male who has been neutered.
Since all the animals I saw looked like large cows to me, it is interesting to know that there is a difference.
No comments:
Post a Comment