Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Meeting Two New Saints

As I was driving on Wadsworth Blvd. in Lakewood, Colorado, I happened to see a sign advertising a Lebanese Festival for the following weekend. I made a mental note that I would like to attend the festival to see what it was all about. Where was Lebanon? I had to bring it up on the computer to find out it is a Western Asia country bordered by Syria and Israel with Beirut being the capital. It is mentioned in the Bible several times and on the news. I have heard the about Lebanon but never thought about its exact location.

There are 1.2 million Catholics in Lebanon and follow the Maronite Christian sect with the Roman Catholic Pope as their leader. I could attend the church in Lakewood by the name of  St. Rafka and it would be the same as attending any other Catholic church. Something of interest is that the lady that married George Clooney is part Lebanese.

A bust of a white bearded man with what looked like a helmet, is in front of the small church. This is St. Sharbel or Charbel. I had never seen a picture of the man or heard his name spoken so I picked up a brochure that would tell me all about him.

May 8, 1828 - December 24, 1898

He was a holy Maronite hermit priest who lived in an isolated monastery
in the rocky mountains of Lebanon. He lived a simple, silent life dedicated 
to Eucharistic prayer and manual work. He died in 1898 and was buried
in the frozen mud of December. But mysteriously, lights were visible
by farmers and locals at the burial site. In the spring his body was retrieved
and it was found to be incorruptible and blood and water has flowed from
it to this day He has come now to Lebanon as 
a mighty intercessor and advocate for world peace.

I expected to see a Festival like the Bazaars that many of the Catholic churches have every year and was disappointed at the tiny festival. I figured, small parish, small festival! They had a few food booths with Lebanese goodies and some of it looked good. A fellow in the sun was roasting corn on the cob, a cookie booth with different kinds of sweets, lemonade table and jars of garlic spread were some of the things I saw. 

I had expected to see some dancing in costume but all the entertainment were people sitting in a circle playing drums. I was asked to join in but declined since I am not musically inclined. I entered the church and it reminded me of a Greek temple with icons.



I am glad I visited the St. Rafka church because I met two new saints and also found out that Rafka is known as Rebecca who was a Maronite nun canonized by Pope John Paul II in 2001. She is known as the blind mystic of Lebanon. She lost one eye and the other eye became diseased  and she suffered terrible pains in her eyes for twelve years. Her body also became  paralyzed and gave her lots of pain though she remained patient, silent, praying, and in joy to share in Jesus' suffering. Her life long life of suffering she offered to God and said, "With your suffering, Oh Lord, for your Glory."

"God loves each of us
as if there were only 
one of us."
St. Augustine

No comments:

Post a Comment