Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Fighting A Battle

Today I drove north twice; way out north. The first time was looking for Sears Grand for a new garage opener remote control. I had no idea it was half way to Greeley. It was pretty close to Erie! Picked up the remote and came home and rested and then I headed out to 99th and Grant to a Horan & McConaty Mortuary where a lady who had passed away was having a Rosary at 6:30 p.m.

When I drove up the place did not have any cars in the parking lot. I got the feeling of deja vu because last Thursday I attended another Rosary at Our Lady of Visitation and about three people showed up so the Rosary was cancelled. Tonight I felt sad because I thought the same thing had happened. Maybe no one showed up and the Rosary had been cancelled.

An employee of the mortuary came up to me and asked if she could help me. I told her, "I thought there was a Rosary for my friend  at six-thirty tonight." She answered in a soft, sweet voice, "The Rosary was at six." Seeing my disappointed face she continued, "You are welcome  to view the body, watch the video of her life, sign the book and take a remembrance card." I did watch the video but I did not go look at the body. I prefer to remember people that pass away like I saw them in life. I signed the book and left.

The lady that had passed away was an acquaintance of mine because she had traveled with me with groups I had taken to New Mexico. I believe she went twice with me and on the last trip about two years ago she did not feel well and complained of a stomach ache. The day after we returned from that trip she entered the hospital and cancer was found. She fought hard and continued living her life as best as she could. I would see her dancing, at dinners, and out with friends. She was a strong woman.

A mutual friend called me and told me that our friend had gone into hospice on Tuesday, May 14, 2019 and on Wednesday, the following day, she passed away.

Since I missed the Rosary, I plan to attend the mass tomorrow at eleven o'clock. I did not know her well but I knew of her. I feel sad because she, when I would see her, was upbeat and hopeful. She tried hard to feel better and I never heard her complain.  I wish she could have beat the cancer because she loved life. A pair of sparkling dance shoes were on a table which made be think she must have been quite a dancer!







Now resting in the arms of Our Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment