Friday, July 10, 2020

Scary Nest on Porch

I never would have noticed a cute nest on the porch ceiling. Perfectly built cone stuck to the wood and was I surprised when my daughter said it was a wasp nest. It was grey and about two and one-half inches round and about two inches long. In a way, the way the smooth gray cocoon tapered down reminded me of a toy top.
With a putty knife, my son-in-law slid the knife along the top of the hive, let the hive drop into a plastic bag and sealed the bag with a couple of wasps inside. I felt fortunate that there weren't a slew of wasps flying around ready to attack!

I am sure that other nests have been around my porch because I would see, what I thought were bees, flying around my front door. I wondered why they picked that area because I do not have flowers to attract them. Since they were not a bother, I never paid much attention.  Maybe I should have looked up and maybe I would have seen a nest!

My curious nature made me look up information regarding nests. I found out it could have been a nest for a hornet, wasp or yellow jacket; all three like to sting! A surprise came as I read the article that fake nests are made with paper, crochet, or cloth and sold to hang on or around porches or eaves.
The artificial nest keeps other insects away.

The Difference Between Bees And Wasps
Bee: 
Pollinates flowers, 
produces honey,
helps the environment, 
and will only sting if provoked.
Wasp: 
Basically is a mean asshole!
Aunty Acid

No comments:

Post a Comment