December 1, 2020, was the day for the funeral for an acquaintance of mine. I can't say that he was a friend because I did not know him well and before Covid 19 I would only see him at dinners or lunches at Spirit of Christ Catholic Community. Only fifty persons could be at the church for the funeral because of Covid 19 and those who attended were relatives and some friends. I watched the mass on my laptop.
The screen, before the mass began, had a picture of a beautiful bouquet of white flowers and I could hear the cantor singing hymns. The Deacon read the Eulogy about the fun loving, energetic, helpful and hard worker who had died on November 19, 2020. He was a man who enjoyed life and was always willing to help. I felt bad for his wife and son who now would have to continue life without a husband and father.
Amazing Grace was sung as the casket, wrapped in a tan cloth (Pall) with quarter moons and a crucifix centered on top was rolled to the front of the altar. The reading was one of my favorites from Ecclesiastes:
There is an appointed time for everything, and a time for every affair under the heavens, a time to be born, and a time to die; etc. God has made everything appropriate to His time and we will know each season when God feels it is the right time. The Responsorial Hymn I like is The Lord is my Shepherd, there is nothing I shall want. The homily was given by the priest and some of the phrases I liked were: He who believes in me shall never die. Do not let your hearts be troubled. No one comes to the Father except through me. God gives us time, yet we do not know the length of our days. Use your time to the best of your ability. We will meet those who have gone ahead when death is destroyed.
"Nick suffered on his last days, shared God's suffering and is destined to be with God. We pray for Nick's departed soul that it is hastened into heaven and for family and friends to be consoled in their grief" said the priest. Hymns picked by the family; Holy Mother, Ave Maria, Taste and See the Goodness of the Lord. The priest and the deacon then blessed the covered casket with incense while praying, "Open the gates of heaven to welcome our brother." The ending hymn was On Eagle's Wings.
I knew Nick belonged to a group at the church called Caring Hearts and that he would go out to visit homebound people. One man who was visited told me, "I enjoyed his visit and we talked about fishing." I realized that Nick was a kind-hearted soul willing to help others in any way he could.
The funeral concluded at Olinger Crown Cemetery and due to Covid 19, there was no reception.
Nick Sedillo
Oct 20,1940 - Nov 19, 2020
Rest In Peace
No comments:
Post a Comment