Sunday, June 6, 2021

A Welcoming Dove

 After my daughter picked me up from the Airport and we arrived at her home, she said, "Come see what is in the vines above our porch." I looked and saw lots of green leaves. "What am I looking for? I asked. She said, "Keep looking right about the middle of the leaves." And then I saw it. A pale tan dove with black eyes looking at me! My daughter took a picture so I could see it clearly!

The dove, I was told, has been sitting on the nest and is about to have babies within days. On the Internet I learned that the doves build a loose nests in 2-4 days. They use twigs grass, weeds and pine needles. Usually a nest will be 5-25 feet above ground and a dove will lay two white eggs.  Incubation period is 14-15 days and both male and female take turns sitting on the eggs. Males take the day shift and females will sit on the eggs at night. 

Keeping an eye on the dove was exciting but I left and nothing had happened. I am getting to become interested in birds only because friends and relatives keep posting bird pictures on Facebook. The dove over the porch in California has also piqued my interest! I also read that sometimes doves will reuse a nest. Maybe, whenever I return to visit my family, I might see another dove sitting in the same nest above their porch!

 
Great ideas come into
the world as gently as doves."
Albert  Camus


3 comments:

  1. It is true that they will re-use a next from year to year. There was a dove fmily year after year on the house next door, right in the crook of the down spout. The nest was loose and pretty messy.Finally I guess the homeowner had the gutters cleaned and the next was removed. This year the doves are nesting other places around because I hear them "cooing". You might tell your daughter that she might want to remove the next after the season is over because there will probably be poop all over the porch. Trouble is, doves mate several times in a row and it's hard to find a time when there are no occupants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about those typos--next instead of nest! Many times...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew what you meant to type! Yesterday nothing had happened and she is wondering if there are eggs in the nest!

    ReplyDelete