Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Music That Touches My Heart

 On December 22, 2021, I was treated to a super Mariachi Fiesta Navidad in Costa Mesa, California. We parked the car, took an elevator to the right floor, and saw the huge plaza filled with many masked people wandering around. A large fountain on the grounds was lit and spouted off four streams of water looking beautiful in the dark evening. Then I saw the gigantic concert hall! My daughter took my picture in front of the Segerstrom Concert Hall before checking in by showing our vaccination card and identification. Everyone had a mask on as we made our way inside. We were early and sat in the large waiting area to watch the many Latinos in attendance.



Our seats were behind the stage which made me feel as if I was on stage also. When the show began there were twelve mariachis blasting away, folkloric dancers and two young girls moving in and out on the stage. The young girls set up the different acts by introducing what was coming next. There were 6 violins, 2 horns, 2 guitars, 1 guitarrón, and a harp making the music come alive! Most of the musicians were singers and they belted out many songs and some of the music I recognized, but there were many tunes I did not know.

In between the mariachi music the dancers, representing different states of Mexico in traditional clothing, danced! Brght colors, lots of heel clacking and a great variety of music and dancing! It was fun when the singers turned and sang to our section and it made us feel as if we were part of the show!

The group is called Los Camperos and they have been nominated for a Grammy award four times, but I am not sure if they ever won the award. Most of the band members are singers and each got a chance to perform. I was impressed with the harp player because it was the first time I had ever seen that instrument in a mariachi group.




My daughter pointed out an odd audience member. It seemed to be enjoying the show and it brought a smile to my face. I later found out it was a service dog that is admitted wherever the owner takes it! My question would be if they had to buy a seat for the dog also!




These musicians played for one hour, took a twenty-minute break and then played for another hour. I love the sound of the Mariachi so I was content listening to the group but I am not too sure that my daughter and son-in-law enjoyed it as much as I did!

Many songs were played as a tribute to Vicente Fernandez, who passed away on December 21, 2021. He is very popular and has been known as "Frank Sinatra of Ranchera Music."

The violins, all six of them, played Christmas carols and got me into the Christmas spirit!
Wonderful music, being with my family and in a beautiful venue was perfect for my visit to California
in 2021!


"As long as you don't
stop clapping, I won't
stop singing!"
Vicente Fernandez

No comments:

Post a Comment