Thursday, December 30, 2021

An Amazing Thing I Saw

 Maybe anyone who is into fish would not find what I saw amazing, but I had never seen such an odd looking fish! It looked deformed and top heavy with a large ball on its head. The small aquarium in a donut shop had a large fish and it was separated from a smaller one that also had a ball on its head.  I did what I always do when I encounter something that puzzles me and that is to go to the Internet! I found out that it is an ornamental aquarium fish that could possibly be worth lots of money. The bigger the bump, the more expensive and the round hump looked pretty big to me! I wondered if it was a deformed fish until I read all about the Flower Horn fish.

 
It is also known as a Lumphead Cichlid and it was created by humans around 1993. They live from ten to twelve years and can be aggressive. It is recommended to keep them alone in the aquarium. They spend most of the time swimming or digging in the substrate, the underlying layer at bottom of the aquarium. The bigger the bump, it is believed, the happier the fish. It is also known to bring good fortune to the owner of the fish. Chinese believe it resembles their God of Longevity. The fish is also believed to bring luck and prosperity to homes because it attracts positive energy and diminishes negative energy.

I was surprised to read that one fish could be worth up to $6,000 dollars though some sell for $150 to $300 dollars. The small, humble donut shop where I saw the fish makes me believe that maybe here is some truth about the fish bringing luck to the owner. My daughter told me that many small businesses were forced to close during the pandemic, but the donut shop prospered!

"Flowerhorn fish will never
be found living in the wild
because they are hybrids and 
do not exist in nature."
From the Internet


No comments:

Post a Comment