All children are children of God, but Baptism leaves a spiritual mark of belonging to Christ. On Sunday, May 21, 2023, I was invited to a baptism of my friend's granddaughter. The ceremony took place at Holy Family Church in North Denver and I realized it had been a long time since I had been to a baptism. Before the ceremony, it took a few persons to dress the darling baby in a long, white, puffy gown. A white bonnet topped the outfit.
The priest carried a green book, Order of Baptism for Children. as he prepared for the ceremony. He explained everything he was doing during the baptism to the children which also let the adults learn along with the children! The baby was quiet and observing everything until mid-baptism and then she began to cry. Parents, Godmother, grandmother all helped in trying to quiet the little one with a pacifier, bottle of milk and a rattle!
After the ceremony we went to a gathering at the maternal grandparent's home and enjoyed a delicious, home-cooked Mexican meal. The decorations were little cutout dresses in pink and white that came from Mexico.When I held the baby, I felt awkward and had a fear that I might drop the beautiful child. It really has been a long time since I held a baby in my arms!A special day for the baby, the parents, her brother, the grandparents, family members and friends. A day she will not remember but will be able to see pictures, there were plenty taken, and know that those that loved her were present on her baptismal day!
"At Baptism, I received grace--that quality that makes
me share in the very nature of God."
Mother Angelica
A darling little angel.
ReplyDeleteGalelia is a sweet child who impressed me with her curiosity as she observes whatever is going on around her.
ReplyDelete