By the time I was around ten I recall buying gifts for my mother. It was strange that my brother and I seemed to always buy her the same gift. For three consecutive years we purchased the same gifts for her.One year we both bought her a plant, another year it was a small corner knick-knack holder, and once we both bought her a pin. Luckily the pins we picked out were not alike! I don't recall ever choosing a gift for my father or brother and hope my mother bought presents for all and put our names on the packages!
Those early years on Christmas Eve we would take a nap for a couple of hours. Around ten, Mom would wake us up and we would get ready for mid-night mass. The church would be decorated with boughs, trees and lights. The manger would be at the front of the altar and I loved to look at all the figures in the Nativity scene. The choir sang Christmas hymns and we would sing along with them.
After mass we went home and and opened our presents. Paper would be strewn all over the floor and we would admire our new clothes or set up a board game. Monopoly was a favorite. I always picked the little dog. Mom would prepare a big breakfast of potatoes, beans, red chili with pork, eggs, bacon, tortillas and hot chocolate with marshmallows floating on top. After eating, if we had enough energy, we continued our game or some of us went to bed. We slept in on Christmas morning and got up late.
Around noon on Christmas day we visited my Aunt Maria (Mere) and Uncle Casimiro's home (my father's older sister and her husband) and she prepared delicious blue corn cheese enchiladas. She stacked them up like pancakes! I'm sure she had other food, but I only remember the tasty enchiladas. She would give us a box with peaches, tomatoes, jelly and green chili that she had canned. My Dad and my uncle would drink an alcoholic drink, maybe wine or maybe something stronger, and my Father would get a bit tipsy. I do not remember talking with my cousins who were a few years older than I was. When we got home, we opened a jar of the peaches and enjoyed the sweet treat.
| Richard, David and me in Greeley with our Christmas Tree. |
After my children were born, I continued the tradition of having a dinner on Christmas Eve. After eating we opened our gifts and in the morning, Santa's gifts would be under the tree for my children to open. I hope they remember more than I remember about Christmases past!
As I think back, there was a family closeness and of doing things together. Even though I can't remember gifts I received, I do remember the feeling of spending warm and happy Christmases surrounded by my family.
No comments:
Post a Comment