There is one reason I like snow. Like a woman covering blemishes with makeup, the snow covers the unsightly weeds in my yard. Snow is a blanket spread over unsightly weeds plus all the new seeds that will pop up in the spring time. I know a yard needs a lot of attention and care but through the years, my yard has been neglected. Dandelions, ivy, thistle and mysterious weeds flaunt their growing abilities in my yard!


I love spring and the revitalization of all things new. Everything turning green, crocuses popping up all over and tulips and irises make their appearance. Yes, I love spring until I look at my yard. It's as if the weeds have doubled from the previous year. There is a small area in my front yard where I do have grass. I try to keep it watered, yet, my plans of landscaping, never seems to happen. In my mind I can see how beautiful my yard could look but those dreams never seem to materialize!

Yesterday my neighbor spent over four hours pulling out weeds from a small section in her yard so she could plant some tomato plants. If it took her that long to pull weeds from a 36" x 24" plot I can't even imagine how long it would take me to get rid of weeds in my yard! I know that once I get started I can eliminate those weeds but it is just getting started!
My belief as to why I have so many different kinds of weeds in my yard is that when we first purchased the house was surrounded by dirt and clay. We panted grass and decided to feed the new lawn with manure from a local ranch. We obtained cow manure to spread over the lawn. I figure that as the cattle ate grass and weeds, their manure was filled with weed seeds. When the weedy (and smelly) manure was spread all over our yard the weeds found a permanent home to multiply!
I've noticed that dandelions are all over the neighborhood and not only
in my yard. In a way the yellow flower is pretty, that is, until
the puffs send seeds flying into the air. Lately I have read how
household products in our kitchens will work in killing weeds and
save our earth by getting away from harmful pesticides. One I may try is a mixture of vinegar and water which is supposed to work. Maybe one of these days I may try it!
"A weed is a plant that has mastered
every survival skill except for learning
to grow in rows." Doug Larson
No comments:
Post a Comment