On the North-East corner of 72nd and Sheridan Blvd. there were some white tents set up for a Farmers Market. I usually do not go shopping at the Markets around town but today I decided to see what was being sold. The first booth had mushrooms, tomatoes, green peppers, corn, cucumbers, squash, potatoes, pumpkins and cauliflower on four long tables. A sign advertised that an 18" bag full would cost $10.00. I went on to the next booth where Kettle Corn was being sold. There were soap, jewelry, bread, peaches, pares, cantaloupe, and roasted green chile booths and people were looking at all the wares. There was even a massage booth.
I bought a sandwich size baggie of roasted green chile and returned to the vegetable tables. My purchase was half a bag full of cucumbers, green peppers, tomatoes, and zucchini for $5.00 . What I noticed is that the grocery stores sell clean looking vegetables while the ones I bought today had dirt on them. Yet, when I prepared some of the goodies I had purchased, the taste was exceptional....reminded me of my mother's cooking. The tomato had a fresh, delicious taste and not at all like what I buy at the grocery store. I know I will visit more Farmers' Markets In the future!
No comments:
Post a Comment