Saturday, August 5, 2017

A Date With A Detective

After watching one episode of Monk, I was hooked. The detective who solves cases is fun to watch because of all his phobias. He has an assistant handing  him wipes because he is so fastidiously clean.
When the series were on, I never watched the show, but one day, a few weeks ago, I heard a peppy song and stopped to listen.  I looked at the screen as the music played It's a Jungle Out There and a dark headed man walked along the street touching all the meters, not stepping on sidewalk cracks, pouring boiling water on his toothbrush, counting posts and I decided to watch to see what it was as all about. In every episode he is in a suit, a shirt buttoned to his neck and sometimes in a camel colored coat. I got engrossed in the mysteries and how a man named Monk solved them.

Monk has many phobias like 112 or more quirky hang-ups. I sort of identify with him when he uses his sleeves to open doors because I do the same thing. He fears dirt, heights, uneven things, numbers not in order, germs, touching people or having them touch him, and many, many other phobias.

The story takes place in San Francisco and sometimes pictures of the area are shown. I do not know if the series were actually filmed in San Francisco but it is nice to see shots of the bay area.

Today, at seven in the morning a marathon of his shows began and I scheduled my calendar to watch the episodes. I guess you could say I have a date with the actor Tony Shalboub who plays Monk. I also like Captain Stottlemeyer, who relies on Monk to solve many of his cases; Randy Disher who comes up with ridiculous clues; and Sharona who is Monks assistant and is always ready with a wipe. Later in the series, a Natalie becomes Monk's assistant though I prefer Sharona.

The show aired in 2002 and ran until 2009 but I never watched it. I am not sure why I didn't watch but now I am glued to my television watching the silly and clever detective. Today I have watched fourteen episodes and during commercials I do what I need to do; laundry, dishes, eating, showering, check e-mail, phone calls, vacuum, etc.


It's a Jungle Out There
by Randy Newman

"It's a jungle out there
disorder and confusion everywhere
no one seems to care
well, I do.
Hey, who's in charge here?
It's a jungle out there.
Poison in the very air we breathe,
do you know what's in the
water you drink?
Well, I do
and it's amazing.
cause I worry all the time
if you paid attention
you'd be worried too
You better pay attention
or this world we love so much
might just kill you.
I could be wrong now
but I don't think so
cause there's a jungle out there
it's a jungle out there."


2 comments:

  1. Isn't it sometimes hard to be so worried about "what's out there"? A little dirt never hurt anyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that and "dirt" helps build up your immunity to some diseases but I guess that is why they are called phobias, the person with them can not help it! Monk goes over and beyond though in some I can identify with him!

    ReplyDelete