Thursday, March 21, 2019

Loving Van Gogh

In my Netflix selections I came across a movie titled Loving Vincent. I clicked on it and ordered the DVD to learn more about the artist Vincent Van Gogh. There is nothing new about his story but how the movie was made fascinated me.

Information I got from the Internet was: There are 65,000 frames in the movie and each frame was painted using Van Gogh's techniques. It took a team of one hundred painters to create the animation movie. 

I learned that the film animation is called rotoscope which takes live action by actors, then each frame is painted and then animated.  The story begins with a letter written to Van Gogh's bother and in the process of delivering the letter the mystery of how Van Gogh died is questioned. Did he shoot himself or did someone shoot him? As I watched the movie I felt sorry for Van Gogh because he seemed like everyone picked on him and bullied him.

Even though he never sold any of his paintings while he was alive, his paintings are worth millions in today's market. He died at thirty-seven years old and even though he began painting at an older age he painted eight hundred pictures in about eight years. An artist I like, Paul Gauguin, is mentioned in the movie as being a friend of Van Gogh but the relationship ended in anger.

The cover for the DVD explains the movie: This animated biopic recounts the life and last days of tormented Dutch artist Vincent Van Gogh, with each frame of the film consisting of an oil painting executed in the master's style and a plot based on letters he penned.

4 comments:

  1. I have a book entitled "Leaving Van Gogh" (I have not read it, but after reading this, I think I will make it my nextk read) It is fiction and I really have no idea what it is about (except Van Gogh!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not know about the method used to make that movie. Wow! I did read the book I mentioned. It is pretty much like the movie, questions whether it was suicide or murder, the disagreement with , and Van Gogh's decent into depression and madness.As you said a large number of his paintings were paintings were done near his death.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if he painted so much before he died because he contemplated suicide??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did he paint so many painting because he contemplated suicide?

    ReplyDelete