A few of years ago I heard rumors that a small church located in Adams County was going to be closed. I attended the church every once in while and always left with a feeling of contentment and joy. It reminded me of small churches I had visited in New Mexico. The people were friendly and made me feel welcome. I enjoyed the choir who sang with their heart and sometimes a little off key; a home-like group of people praising Our Lord.
After mass it seemed as if everyone went into the reception area for coffee and donuts or sometimes Mexican food mixed with a lot of comradery. I would venture to say it was a holy and feel-good place on Sunday when I attended the small church known as Our Lady of Visitation.
The rumors became a reality and the church closed on May 1, 2017. And that is when the fight began between the Archdiocese of Denver and the parishioners who wanted to keep their little church open.
The battle reached the Vatican and news came that the church would be open two times a year for celebration of mass. I have heard mass would take place on the day it became a church and on Our Lady of Visitation feast day. To me, it just seems as if twice a year is not enough, yet, something is better than nothing! I find it hard to believe that a building will be kept locked and probably not maintained for a year and then opened twice a year. If the building is going to sit unused, why can it not be a church with parishioners taking care of it?
I realize that I do not have all the ins and outs of what is happening to the little church, but this is what I see as an outsider.
On Monday, March 25, 2019, will be the first mass to be celebrated after two years of the church being closed. There will be a get together before mass at 5:30 p.m., with refreshments outside the church. People can greet their friends and enjoy being together again and Mass will then be celebrated by a priest from Holy Trinity at six-thirty. I guess I feel a bit of unease that the church cannot be opened for the get together. I do not understand the reasoning behind the information I received via e-mail because it would have made more sense to enjoy refreshments after mass in the parish hall. Yet, I know the persons who have worked so hard in trying to keep the little church open are abiding by the higher-ups recommendations!
I hope and pray that someday Our Lady of Visitation will once again be a functioning parish. I miss attending mass at the little church!
No comments:
Post a Comment