Friday, May 15, 2020

Attending A Virtual Funeral



I clicked on the link that would take me to a friend's funeral and waited for the mass to begin. Seven were present; wife, two children and their spouses, and two grandchildren. The adults wore masks.  The siblings presented the eulogies: The daughter spoke about being loved every day of her life, how her father attended all her school functions, how he loved to travel yet always let her know she should have appreciation for what she had at home, and to take full advantage of life! She called him a cheerleader that helped her through life and mentioned his visit to Kenya to help her while she was there. Their climbing  Kilimanjaro in Africa is something she will always remember and when she wanted to give up he told her the story of the little engine that could and she kept repeating,  "I think I can, I think I can," until she reached the top of the mountain!

The son spoke about being loved and supported by his stay at home Dad. He mentioned that his father was a scout master, daily told him he loved him, and advised him to follow his dreams.  Searching at garage or antique sales was something his Dad enjoyed and collecting coins, stamps, or anything that appealed to him. He enjoyed trivia and would have liked that today is National Biscuit Day and that May 14, the day of his funeral, is St. Corona's feast day, the patron saint of treasure hunters and Pandemics.


The priest, deacon and cantor began mass after the interesting and loving eulogies by daughter and son. The Entrance Hymn was Amazing Grace. A small table with yellow flowers in a vase, a wooden urn, and a picture were in front and to the side of the altar. The Deacon read the Scripture and Fr. Chris gave the homily.  Some of the points were how people who are curious are usually interesting people because they want to know what is beyond the next corner. He mentioned that our outer self is wasting away while our inner self is growing in God's love. Now is the time to mourn but we should be joyful because the person who is now gone is within God's plan of being with him for eternity. The priest asked for prayers for strength and hope as we transition through life.

I watched as the family received communion and the blessing of the urn holding the remains and then mass was over. On Angels Wings was sung the priest's words of "Bring your brother to the peace of your eternal home." made me feel better. Though I felt sad that the tiny baby would not know the grandfather! I watched as the siblings hugged their mother. The one thing lacking in a virtual funeral is not being able to hug those that are mourning. I missed not being able to hug the family and to let them know how happy I was to have known husband, dad and grandfather but how little I knew of his exciting life!

"Don't be dismayed about good byes.
Losing a friend is necessary before
you meet again. And meeting again,
after moments or a lifetime, is certain
for those who are friends.
Richard Bach




No comments:

Post a Comment