Monday, August 3, 2020

Who Feeds Me?

Yesterday at Fr. Greg Ames' mass celebrating thirty-four years as a priest, he left us with an assignment. Instead of putting unimportant things on Facebook, we were to write about someone who has touched our lives and made us better people. As he put it, "Please comment about someone in your life, stranger or friend, who has enriched your life by their unselfish love."

As I thought about the many persons I could not find one outstanding person because there have been many. Many had helped me grow and many had fed me, but I could not think of a one extra special person. I had driven to Mother Cabrini Shrine and sat and meditated on trying to think of that one person. I mulled the people in my life but no answers came up. There were many I could give credit to and yet, I knew I would have to think more about the subject. Being fed by our Lord by people that transformed me into being a better person and in turn, I would treat others in a way to improve my corner of the world!

Driving down the mountain I decided to stop at Heinie's Market to purchase peaches and freshly roasted green chili. As I parked my car I saw a Spirit of Christ person that I know. She, before the pandemic, was a faithful gambler on the bus to Blackhawk. I had not seen her for five months and it was so nice seeing her. She was struggling with two canes to reach the grocery cart and mentioned she was buying peaches for a friend who no longer drove. I wondered if I would have done that kind of a favor!  As customers went around us we spoke about her being a reader at mass and I told her I saw her on Utube. "You have a very nice voice and I could understand everything you read." I told her. She responded with, "I practiced reading it."

She mentioned how she goes fishing at some reservoir, though she skipped July because of the 90 degree weather. I marvel at how daring she is to take her fishing equipment down to the edge of water, even with the rangers helping her. She said when she is ready to leave they come by to help her again.  To me, that takes a lot of guts because I know how difficult it must be to walk with canes or a walker. I have neither and it is still difficult for me to walk on uneven ground.

I couldn't help but think that in all the years I had known this sweet lady, she always has a pleasant disposition. She never lets her physical ailments get her down and has volunteered at
9 Health Fair plus other functions where I have happened to see her. Knowing myself, I do not believe I could do half of what she does.  I no longer had to think about the one special person who I admire and without knowing it, feeds me and makes me want to be a better person! I also know God put her in my path because he knew she was one of his angels feeding people on earth!



"Angels are like diamonds.
They can't be made,
you have to find them.
Each one is unique."
Jaclyn Smith


No comments:

Post a Comment