Tuesday, August 24, 2021

What's That I Hear?

Crunching sand beneath my feet, the clicking of my turning signal on my car, crickets chirping, the computer keys as I type, and paper rustling near my ear are sounds I can now hear with my new hearing aids. Brushing my teeth sounded as if I was sandpapering my teeth and blowing my nose the Kleenex sounded like I was crumpling up gift tissue paper. I had been told I was missing a lot but now I know how much I had missed. Naturally, I never missed what I couldn't hear but now I am entering a new world of noise!

On August 23, 2021, I sat in the Costco Hearing Aid Center and listened to instructions on the what, how and why of  hearing aids. From putting them into my ears, how they function, cleaning instructions, to everything I needed to know. I spent about an hour listening and practicing and when I left I had my new hearing aids on and a small box containing cleaning materials, charger, and more instructions to remind me on what I needed to do. I also was given a small black mask clip so I would not have to add the mask ties to my ears but instead the ties are tied at my neck. I was told that pulling masks off had caused many accidents because the hearing aid would get pulled off along with the mask.

Last night, after figuring how to place my hearing aids into the charger I connected the charger. Today will be my first solo try at putting my hearing aids into my ears. I am hoping I remember everything and that I do it correctly. 

Half an hour later of struggling I think I have those tiny buds in my ear and the teeny wire where it is supposed to be. Nothing seemed to go as easy as they made it sound. I do believe they are in correctly because I can hear the computer keys as I type and usually I don't hear a thing while I type! Today will be the first time at church where I usually can't hear the readings.  This will be a test to see how the hearing aids work.

Hard to believe that as mass began I could hear the priest loud and clear. Wow, now that was an improvement! Twenty four people went out to lunch and I had no problems understanding what was being said and I was not bothered by background noise. I do believe I am going to enjoy wearing my new hearing aids!

                                                         

Of course the real test will be when I visit my family in California and if I can hear and understand them my hearing aids will be an excellent success! 

"I hadn't really noticed I had a hearing problem.

 I just thought most people had given up 

on speaking clearly."

Hal Linden


2 comments:

  1. Good to hear(no pun) that you are getting along with your new hearing aids and happy being able to hear things that you weren't able to before. I hope California people pass the test!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure I will hear them better than I have in the past! If not, there is always texting!!

    ReplyDelete