Whenever I visit California and I get a chance to see my son-in-law's family, it is always a fun time. His parents have such a warm way of making me feel at home. They are two people who keep up with world events, authors, plants, food, history, politics, etc. Their kids are also up to date and many times they get into deep conversations making me feel a bit out of sync! The siblings are four brothers and one sister plus their own children. When everyone is present, the house is loaded with laughter, chatter and good food. When the weather is nice, we congregate out in their lovely patio. This year we were indoors because it was cool, on the verge of being cold!
Christmas day we were all in the house but front and back doors were open to keep the air circulating to try and keep Covid germs, if any, moving around. We did not wear masks, yet the worry is still there because the father is 95 and the mother is 93. I enjoy seeing all of them and yesterday one of the sons made corn chowder (which I did not taste but remarks were that it was very good) and roast beef by another son. The meat was tender and tasty with two kinds of horseradish to put on it. Many side dishes: cheese, salami, crackers, cooked carrots, pear salad, Chex mix, buns, stuffed sweet peppers, and cannoli's, pecan pie, chocolate chip cookies for dessert and everything tasted great!
The latest great-grandchild is about one year old and a highlight of the gathering. He is friendly and cheerful and has the cutest little face that I could look at him all day long!
There was an exchange of gifts but not how I remembered in the past. A flurry of people receiving gift and opening them. The parents enjoyed giving books so there was always discussion about the stories or authors. This year, since many family members were not around, envelopes were handed out to those present, and a few gifts distributed.
Maybe because I have a small family, I love seeing this large family get together. I am thankful that I am included to join the fun when I am in California visiting my family.
Christmas 2021 was a happy one for me because I was with my two granddaughters, my daughter, son-in-law, my granddaughter's friend and on occasion, three dogs!
From my happy heart,
comes a wish that everyone
enjoyed Christmas and I hope
that the coming year
will be a great one,
filled with wonder and joy!
E. Moscoso
No comments:
Post a Comment