Today my house smelled terrific. I do not like air fresheners that are sweet or smell like perfume. Sometimes I will boil cinnamon sticks to give my house a smell as if I had just baked cookies or pie! Today my house was smelling how I remember our home when I was growing up. Such sweet memories of my mother cooking and I can see her wearing her apron over a floral house dress.
Today I brought that smell into my house by roasting green chilies. I love the smell! It's sort of a smoky, pungent smell. Sometimes, going past a place where chili is roasting in large tumbling drums, I get homesick for the smell! If you have never smelled peppers roasting you won't know what I am saying, but if you grew up surrounded by the smell of peppers roasting you know exactly what I am talking about!
Today I roasted the peppers in my oven at 400 degrees and when they were dark brown/black, I took them out. Once they were cooled, I peeled the skin off the peppers. My mouth began to water as
I took a flour tortilla, placed one of the roasted peppers on it and sliced some sharp cheddar cheese and rolled it like a burrito. I placed the tortilla into the microwave and when the cheese was melted, I ate my favorite tortilla-chili-cheese treat in my chili smelling home!
"New Mexico considers roasted
chili as the official state aroma!"
Susan Montoya Bryan
No comments:
Post a Comment