Today was a day of surprises for me. The park opened at ten in the morning, and I arrived around eleven and there were a jillion cars with no place to park. I followed the line of cars also looking for a place to park, and finally found a spot. It was quite a distance from the flying kites so I began my long walk to the main area. I recalled that when my son, and then my grandkids, played soccer on those fields, there weren't as many fields as I saw today. I had no idea that the small lake, that some would call a pond, existed! Every soccer field had people flying their kites, but I wanted to get to the main area with the food trucks and vendor tents.
The 12 food trucks were lined up and I saw barbeque, chicken, turkey legs, popcorn, fries, funnel cakes, and cheese for sale, plus other goodies. Leaving the trucks, I made it to the vendor booths and saw psychedelic t-shirts, kites, baseball caps, jewelry, tattoos, cheese bread, water bottles, crochet stuff, coffee, brownies, hammocks, clothing for martial arts, and a sign: Everything you want and you didn't know you needed! There were dog walkers with different breeds, lots of babies in strollers, toddlers excited as parents flew their kites, people standing around tall, round tables eating, and many trying their luck at flying a kite. There were kites in the air or on the ground, and I noticed Minne Mouse, dragons, octopuses, butterflies, and turtle kites.
I got a kick out of a tiny tot as she chased the ribbons on the ground and I think she thought she was flying a kite!
I enjoyed watching all the activity but when my knee began to bother me, I headed to my car. Reaching the car, I had clocked 1.4 miles on my phone.
The next Kite Festival I will go early and take my own chair to sit and enjoy watching the people and the different kites.
"The optimist pleasantly ponders how high his kite will fly;
the pessimist woefully wonders how soon his kite will fall."
William Arthur Ward
No comments:
Post a Comment