Saturday, August 12, 2023

A Good Retort

 

Yesterday at a class of Beatitudes, during discussion time, I found myself quoting my father. The subject was about what to say when someone says they don't believe in heaven or God. I remembered what my Dad told me once when I said I was not sure if I believed in heaven. I told my classmates about something my father said to me when I wanted proof that there was a heaven. I remember his response and it has stayed with me through many years.  

"Live your life the best possible way you can because if there is a God, you will go straight to heaven. But, if there is no God, you lived a good life here on earth." One of the students wrote it down and said, "That's why I like these classes, this is a great retort to tell my non-believing friends!"

I felt a sense of pride that my father's quote was written down and that it would be repeated among other persons. I do not know if that was an original quote of his or if he had read it somewhere, but it makes sense!

"For the Christian, heaven is where Jesus is.

We do not need to speculate on what heaven will be like.

It is enough to know that we will be forever with Him."

William Barclay




No comments:

Post a Comment