Monday, August 28, 2023

Into The Kitchen Again

 Cooking is not a favorite of mine but in the last three weeks I have found myself chopping, stirring, and measuring again. A friend of mine came home from the hospital and is struggling to gain back the thirty pounds he lost due to a stomach problem. I thought that a chicken soup would be good for getting his strength back. I followed that with a vegetable-lentil soup loaded with onion, broccoli, celery, carrots, tomatoes, beans, and noodles! On the third day I prepared calabacitas (squash dish) with garlic, onions, roasted corn, zucchini, and tomatoes. I did not use any cheese because he is allergic to dairy products. I baked a zucchini bread with zucchini from his garden, and a banana bread. I made Jello with bananas and took him some apple sauce with cinnamon. Hopefully this will spike his appetite so he can begin gaining some of his weight back! For the first time in a long time my house smelled like a restaurant!

I have taken him a roast chicken and ribs from Costco, Clementines because they are easy to peel, individual high protein trail mix packets, and small chocolate bars. The reports I get is that he has no appetite yet the day he ate the chicken soup he even tipped the bowl to get all the liquid.

Since cooking is not something I enjoy doing, this is very unusual for me to be preparing food from scratch! There must be a saying about if you want to help someone, you will do your best to help!


"There ain't no point in making soup

unless others it eat. 

Soup needs

another mouth to taste it,

another heart to be warmed by it."

Kate DiCamillo

No comments:

Post a Comment